Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Trans cooler question

I am setting up a remote transmission cooler for my 4L60E that is going into my LS1 ---> Studebaker conversion. The cooler is located under the body beside a frame rail. In order to make sure I have sufficient air flow through the cooler I am placing a fan on it that is thermostatically controlled by a sensor in the coollant line. It turns the fan on at 185 degrees and off at 175. Now my question, should I put the sensor in the line entering the cooler, to measure the temp of the fluid coming from the transmission, or should I put it after the cooler to measure the fluid going back to the transmission? And finally, which fitting on the 4L60E is the output flow?

thanks for your help

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 11-02-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would put it in the line entering the cooler that way you know if the trans is getting too hot and need to stop.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've re-read the instructions that came with the switch and it says to install it on the inlet line to the cooler as thunderstuck suggested. Also, it comes on at 180 degrees and off at 170. I do still need to know which of the fittings on the transmission is the outlet fitting? Is it the upper or lower? Anybody?

thanks

Pat
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it looks like the bottom line is the feed, and the top, return.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

you want to tap into the upper line as that is the return line to the trans. The reason you want to do it that way is the cooler thats in the radiator will take out some of the trans fluid heat then go throught the external cooler your setting up to remove more heat from the fluid. If you have it pass throught the external cooler first its not going to work right cause you will be cooling the trans fluid down then heating it back up as it runs through the 200*+ radiator.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

This trans cooler will be stand alone, the fluid will not go through the radiator. Due to space limititations I do not have a good location at the front of the car to place the cooler. That's why it is located under the car off to the side of the transmission.

Thanks for the replys guys. It's a big help.

Pat
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I came across the coolant lines info in the GM LS1 Installation kit book. The upper fitting is the output (hot) the lower fitting is the return.

Pat