Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0-Th350 flexplate spacer questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0-Th350 flexplate spacer questions.

I think i've worn out the search feature lurking here, and i still don't seem to be finding answers so i'm asking you guys to help me!
I have a 2003 LQ9 6.0 that had a 4l80 behind it. so it has
Crankshaft->Spacer->Flexplate.
The problem is my stock th350 conveter will just barely engage the snout/hub into the crankshaft spacer spacer as it is..

My flexplate and spacer look like this i believe:

Doing a lot of searching i found that it looks like the spacer should go on AFTER the flexplate. So I had to tap and pry the spacer out of the flexplate, and tried to install it:
Crankshaft->Flexplate->Spacer.

It doesn't look like this way wants to work, the flexplate isn't round in the center its got 6 tabs that make up the circle, if you will. Is that normal? it must be because the flexplate was pressed on the spacer.
It also doesn't look like it will work that way with the starter, because the flexplate is now moved ~ 3/8", closer to the block.

Originally Posted by speartech
"That's great that the converter matches the holes but what a lot of people forget is that when you put the spacer in and move the flexplate out 3/8", you've just moved the teeth on the gear 3/8" AWAY from the starter! You'd hate to put it all together only to find out that when you engage the starter, it doesn't even reach the flexplate teeth.
That's why the 5.3/5.7 flexplates are dished and the 6.0 flexplate is FLAT. They flattened it to bring the teeth back to the starter."
So does this mean i need a 5.7 flexplate?
Someone help me figure this out!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original way it was is the correct way: Crankshaft, Spacer, Flexplate.

That combo SHOULD set you up for proper engagement of the TC when using the earlier style trans; TH350, TH400, 700R4, 4L80E, etc. Those transmissions are all made with the same flange style, bellhousing depth, torque converter thickness, etc.

So I guess I'm not sure why you are barely catching the TC hub with that setup.

If you change the order of parts and go Crankshaft, Flexplate, Spacer; that will get you closer to the TC by the thickness of the spacer, if that is enough to help.

If you do it that way then you MUST use the dished flexplate so that the starter will still engage the teeth.

They also make extensions for the hub of the TC. You may need to go that way and forget the spacer altogether. Just remember to use the dished flexplate if not using the GM spacer, or puting the spacer AFTER the flexplate, in order to keep proper starter engagement.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a TON for your reply! I really appriciate it.
LS1Tech ROCKS!