Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pro 5.0 shifter stops

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro 5.0 shifter stops

I'm having some trouble setting the shifter stops, i read the posts on here about doing it till it touches then turning it back once I did this with 1st and 2nd. then i took it out for a drive and it wouldnt go into 3rd or 4th, it seems that the shifter hits the bolt quicker in 3rd and 4th than 1st and 2nd, but when i adjust it long enough for 3 and 4, the 1 and 2 shifts are pretty long. anyone got any advice?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will hear many opinions on this that have little to no fact to support them.
Opinion actually a myth): Shift forks in a T56 are bent by overtravel. This myth is what sells shifters with stops - pure marketing bunk.I they were so great why won't the warrant them aganist bending a fork?
Fact: What bends a fork is clash shifting- A stop will do nothing to prevent that.Clash shifting is a driver -controlled condition ( no one has come up with a driver stop - except an automatic)
Fact: stops are adjustable and therefore mis adjustable. Mis adjusting stops can cause a fork issue by short shifting.
Do what you ewant but the best thing you can do is crank them out well away fron the shifter and loctite them so they don't come loose. They will do the best when they are ineffective.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I adjusted my shift stops by putting the car in first gear and tightening the stop until I could just smoothly slide a business card in between the shifter and stop with no interference. Then i repeated for the other stop with second gear. Try that and then go through all the gears to make sure you can shift. if not, then back the stops out some more. Although, for mine with the stops adjusted to work for first and second, they also worked for all other gears. Pro 5.0 says to tighten the stop agaianst the shifter and then back it out one full turn.
Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

yeah thats what I tried, its just that when I adjusted it to sit off the bolt in 4th, it was no where near the bolt in 1st
Old 11-03-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnnySuperSport
yeah thats what I tried, its just that when I adjusted it to sit off the bolt in 4th, it was no where near the bolt in 1st

you are doing it right but to me it sounds like you have no choice but to use 3rd and 4th as the stop points since you need to be able to use them. You could just remove them all together as well but hell you got them may as well use them as best you can.

Quick Reply: pro 5.0 shifter stops