Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat On M/t Drag

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flat On M/t Drag

I need to have a slick pulled off the rim and repaired.I picked up a small screw at the track. The question that I have is do you screw the tire back in the same location or move the tire on the rim to a different spot. Also is it ok to patch or do I need to tube it. These slicks are new.
Thanks
Alan

Last edited by 1STGEN68-2000SS; 11-04-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1STGEN68-2000SS
I need to have a slick pulled off the rim and repaired. The question that I have is do you screw the tire back in the same location or move the tire on the rim to a different spot. Also is it ok to patch or do I need to tube it. These slicks are new.
Thanks
Alan

Tire can be put in a different spot just make sure it gets balanced. You gonna TECHNICALLY have to balance it either way sicne your adding some kind of weight to it. And if it were me I'd just buy a new one. I guess I'm kinda iffy with my life though
Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do either patching or a tube. I've done both, and my most recent set of E.T. Street I had patched after 25 runs because of a screw, and it lasted 150 more passes without any problems.

You can re-install the tire anywhere on the rim, and make sure to re-balance it. I'd reccommend bubble-balancing if you have the choice.

Derek
Old 11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Villain, more info on bubble balancing?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubble balancing is balancing the tire on something similar to a scale, with a bubble in the center that uses the same idea as a straight-edge uses to determine where the weight is needed. The reason I've had better luck this way is when you use a spin balancer on a tire like a slick, it will grow as speed increases. Therefore, you are balancing at a certain speed instead of at rest. Myself, a local tire shop and my local speed shop all have had great success using the bubble balancing methos as opposed to a static balancer.

Derek
Old 11-05-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bubble balance is static , the other is dynamic.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Villain281H
you can do either patching or a tube. I've done both, and my most recent set of E.T. Street I had patched after 25 runs because of a screw, and it lasted 150 more passes without any problems.

You can re-install the tire anywhere on the rim, and make sure to re-balance it. I'd reccommend bubble-balancing if you have the choice.

Derek
Did you patch it yourself or what? I had gotten a flat on my front runner and they said because of the design of the tire that they couldn't patch it. I would have to find a tube for it. Now, i had recently picked up a nail in my drag radial and I know they won't repair it because of the design. So I would have to say that you would have to get tubes. Just my two cents.