Sponsored by:

Lets make some power!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Lets make some power!!

Hey everyone,
I'm installing some "bolt-ons" on to my stock LS1 on my '01 ws6. I want to make as much power as possible N/A, and this is what I have so far:

85mm SLP MAF
Volant Cold Air intake
FAST 90/90
3.73's with Detroit TruTrac

Just bought a set of heads and headers.

ARE Stage 3 Heads
- 2.055/1.57 valves
- Patriot Gold Spring Kit
http://www.agostino-racing.com/packa...ead4&sm=sm2_vd

Edelbrock Headers
- 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 with 3.5 in collectors to a 3 in ORY and 3 in all the way back to Flowmaster with 3.5 in outlet and 4 in slashcut tips.

I'm currently looking for a CAM.

What is the largest CAM I can get with those valves on the heads WITHOUT having to fly cut my pistons (don't have the facilities to do this) that will net me the most power under the curve! I want to have good low-end torque and the best peak power I can get at about 6-6.5 K

Whats the most effective way to check P/V clearance? I'll get a dial indicator if I have to....don't really know anything about checking for this clearance!!

What CR will be netted, has 61cc chambers on the heads.

What gaskets do you guys recommend...will regular GM gaskets work? Fel-pro? How about header gaskets?

How about Studs? Should I get ARP 12 pt?

LS2 chain be sufficient?

Ported LS6 oil-pump, or will stock one suffice?

Should I spend the extra money on some Yella Terra 1.7's shaft/adjustable? Will these fit under my valvecovers with no spacers or mods required?

What length pushrods? Dependent on cam of course.

Is there anything I'm missing?!

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd leave the MAF alone and go with a standard lid/CAI setup.

I believe PTV clearance is most commonly checked with clay.

You want the biggest cam you can get to fit without PTV issues AND the most power under the curve? The most power under the curve in what RPM range?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Personally, I'd leave the MAF alone and go with a standard lid/CAI setup.

Wasn't planning on removing my MAF, and already got my Volant CAI, so that works =D

I believe PTV clearance is most commonly checked with clay.

Could you elaberate? I have no idea how that works...

You want the biggest cam you can get to fit without PTV issues AND the most power under the curve? The most power under the curve in what RPM range?

Yup biggest cam I can fit with the most power. I don't want anything i'll have to spin my motor up to 6501+ rpms to get the power. So peak at like 6200 - 6300 rpms, with range from 2500 to 6500, somewhere in that range. Flattest and highest torque curve, of course sacrificing a little flatness for more power is fine. This will be a street driven car, but I want it to be MEAN. Idle quality, I don't really give a crap , just as long as its got some *** to it , and I'll be getting it tuned anyways..
Everyone feel free to jump in and share their knowledge!!

Adrian
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

??????
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Many of your questions have been answered MANY times before, and as such you should try reading the stickies and using the search button.

LS2 chain is fine, personally I'd leave the rockers alone, your car is new enough that the oil pump is not a liability so stock should be fine (though ported couldn't hurt).....
Old 11-11-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use the 85mm MAF
change the rockers...stock are junk
throw the flowmaster in the river...better boat anchor
2.055 ARE heads on stock bore?...wouldnt use them..been there done that...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
change the rockers...stock are junk

What's wrong with stock rockers...?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Whats wrong with flowmaster muffler? I have the 80 series I believe, and it sounds sick. No rasp, just pure rumble.

I was thinking the same thing about the rockers.

As far as a cam that will fit? Whats the biggest size? And how do I check for PV clearance? Is there anyways I can calculate that measuring how far the lifter moves until it reaches the bottom of the chamber? Such as laying the head flat, and measuring how far the spring compresses when the valve hits the table? And then back it off a couple thousands? Whats this clay deal?

Whats wrong with the ARE heads? I'm sure they flow amazing, and there shoudln't be any shrouding cause of the intake valve size, biggest you should probably go on a stock bore. And besides they're made for 3.9 to 4.0 bore size anyways.

What compression on 61cc?

How about gasket? GM? Fel-pro? Cosmetics are too expensive and probably overkill for my application.

how about the head bolts? GM or ARP?

Alright I gotta go and watch the project manager for the Dodge viper speak at UM! Hope to see more replies when I get back!

Regards,
Adrian
Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many people here have broken stock rockers....even on stock cars...do a search..if you want to do it right..upgrade now before you find needle bearings on your drain plug...but heck maybe you will be lucky if you stay stock..lots of people have..

Flowmaster mufflers suck..too much backpressure on modded cars...feel good on slow cars..

From my personal experience...ARE heads arent the best...set sitting in my garage collecting dust...but you have them already so that is a moot point. Did you get a flow sheet?...did you get them flowed to see if they are any good? Maybe they make good ones now...

Do a search man...all this stuff has been asked and answered. You are starting off in the hole with the heads, stock rockers and muffler....sorry

Last edited by SAM98WS6; 11-11-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

I decided to stick with the stock rockers. I will also just stick with my flowmaster for now...but I will change later.

As far as searching to my question about the cam, I haven't found anything. So....

What is the biggest cam I can fit with unmilled ARE's with 2.055 intake valve? Lift, duration, that will make the most power for me? If you guys know of a post that perfectly answers the question, just feel free to post the link.

On a side note, if I do decide to flycut my pistons, whats the most that it can be done without ruining the integrity of the piston?

Will the GM head bolts work fine?

thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Ttttttttttt
Old 11-12-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

TTTT for the night
Old 11-13-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Biggest lift and duration? I guess no one knows...