Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash Tune Vs. Data Logging

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash Tune Vs. Data Logging

Real basic question that I cant seem to find in my search's. What is the difference between the two, and the best why for me to get the most out of the MODS I have now ( not looking at H/C for awhile)
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um.... data logging = action of loggign data while driving the car....
flash tune = action of flashing the PCM with a tune that was performed based on the data that was logged?

flash tune is just that... it's flashing (writing) the tune (changes you make to the PCM) to your PCM ... data logging is just that... logging data... you use this data to make your tune...

Regarding what's best for you... you don't really have any big power mods, just alot of bolt ons... so there's probably not a whole lot of power to unlock there.... (lack of tuning capabilities... though the Vinci handheld is my favorite of those available...)

I'm personally not a fan of any handhelds that are currently out ... but doesn't sound like you're ready for a full tuner suite (such as HP Tuners or EFI Live) ...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Well I'm going to the track and going to meet a guy who has HPTuners and he said he can do either. So im guess just a Flash Tune would work for me?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to know what to change first..... to know what's going on (unless he's just doing simple stuff) you need to log the car to see what's happening

Based on these logs you make a tune for the car
then you flash (write) the tune into your cars computer....

THe person that has HP Tuners will know the difference between logging and flashing (and if he doesn't I wouldn't let him flash your car)

Think about it... you can't raise timing if you don't know how much KR (if any) you're already getting (well you could but not a smart move) ... how do you tell how much KR you're getting? You data log... (log data from the car)

Then you use the information you gather frm the log to make adjustments to the cars computer (the tune)

Then when you have the adjustments (tune) done, you flash (which means write or upload) the adjustments (tune) to your cars computer (PCM)
Old 11-11-2005, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Ok thanks alot man that really helped me out. He is a very creditable Tuner in this area, and I just have not got to talk to him yet and I kind of wanted a little better idea of what all was going on before I talked to him. Thanks again Horist