Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been Asked a Gazillion Times But.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been Asked a Gazillion Times But.......

Ive got an 02 SLP SS and i was wondering what is the best exhaust. It originally came with the SLP Dual/Dual from the factory or wahtever and the previous owner took it off casue he didnt like it and put of all things a flowmaster in. I will more than likely never run headers and probably keep the stock Y-Pipe since no headers. I have heard a lot about the Borla Mouth and all but i just want some opnions as this is my first LS1 and have no idea what to run. Again this will be with no headers, basically im just looking for a Cat-Back-- Opinions????
Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

is a cutout an option? especially an elcetric one, satisfaction at the flip of a switch.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

It already has a cutout, it is one that is welded in but it isnt an electric one and it dumps out right before the rear axle. I dont really want to run it open all the time and want something that sounds nice and good with lots of deep tone and a mean rumble to it.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad98maro
It already has a cutout, it is one that is welded in but it isnt an electric one and it dumps out right before the rear axle. I dont really want to run it open all the time and want something that sounds nice and good with lots of deep tone and a mean rumble to it.
You just described a cutout...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive got an 02 SLP SS and i was wondering what is the best exhaust.
no such thing and never will be

It originally came with the SLP Dual/Dual from the factory or wahtever and the previous owner took it off casue he didnt like it and put of all things a flowmaster in. I will more than likely never run headers and probably keep the stock Y-Pipe since no headers. I have heard a lot about the Borla Mouth and all but i just want some opnions as this is my first LS1 and have no idea what to run. Again this will be with no headers, basically im just looking for a Cat-Back-- Opinions????
Honestly why do you want to change? Is it noise or power?

Any cat back will only have minimal affect on HP so with out headers, free flow CATS and a better Y pipe just about ANY catback will be fine. In performance terms. The Flowmaster may not be the best but it does out flow the stock one. It also out flows the stock CATS, so if you have a cut out after the CATS then it is probably only affecting noise output and not HP output when open.

If you want to hear different options take a look at www.ls1sounds.com it will hopefully give you an idea, but remember they will ALL sound very different up close and personal than what they do on a PC. Apart from that check out the sponsors on the right -----> and see what's available.

Options include:

Expensive - Stainless Works, GMMG, Borla, Corsa. Stainless steel is a good bet if you plan on keeping the car.

Cheaper options - SLP, TSP Rumbler, Hooker, PowerMax

There are however many others out there. Duals are an option too, but in all honesty pretty pointless if you are keeping stock headers and CATS.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what you are describing it sounds like the GMMG catback would work well (expensive though). Cheaper, and also good options would be the TSP Rumbler, or SLP Loudmouth. I think these will give you the sound you are looking for out of a catback. However, none of these will be that great wtih headers and ORY.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

forget catbacks... just go with a true dual setup
Old 11-18-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by imslow
forget catbacks... just go with a true dual setup
Why?

Duals are NOT required on nearly all setups. And in many cases are worse or the same in performance terms. If they are not replacing the headers and mid pipe then there is NO, none, nothing to be gained by duals.