Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

piston notching flycutting tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default piston notching flycutting tool

Hey guys, I think i may want to flycut my pistons. I have a junk head that I can hack apart. Im thinking about buying two $10 BBC valves and grinding notches around them to make a makeshift isky type tool. Ill probably grind a hex into the valvestem tip so I can stick a socket on it. Ill probably cut up the head so there's only one cylinder and 4 bolt holes on it, and ill have to reem out the valveguides to fit the 3/8 stem. Anybody see any problem doing it like this?

Ive got to do 2 or 3 cars, but not at the same time, so i cant rent. And my budget does not allow to buy the isky tool.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i highly doubt that your makeshift tool is going to do anything in the way of removing material or doing it cleanly
Old 11-19-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRick212
i highly doubt that your makeshift tool is going to do anything in the way of removing material or doing it cleanly
Why not? Its little different than re-grinding the flutes on carbide endmills at my dads machine shop, and Ive suvessfully done that plenty of times. Besides, its aluminum. Rub a Q-Tip against it long enogh and you can cut a valve relief.

Quick Reply: piston notching flycutting tool