Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help Me Now...please...Crush Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Me Now...please...Crush Sleeve

Here's the deal, my friend an I have been struggling with this dang DIFF for 2 days now. I had to replace the bearings and racers (not sure of spelling) in my DIFF and since I was back there I replaced the axle bearings as well. I got everything set and I'm ready to install the pinion gear...only I can't get the pinion's crush sleeve to set ...I'm tighting up the nut on the other side of the U-joint as far as I can but there is still too much play (forward/backward movent) with the pinion...I have to get this car up and running tonight.
PLEASE if anyone has run into this problem, please help...
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you tightening the nut with it will take a lot of force to crush the sleeve!I have air tools I do mine with but ya beter know what ya doing with a impact gun or ya can over tighten e'm real quick if ya using a wrench ya are going to have to hold the pinion gear still with some thing like a big ajustable wrench and put a big prybar or super long wrench on the nut so ya can giver hell!The pinion should have no play and have some resistance to turn! Maybe some of this info will help! Good luck!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like we're just gonna have to get the air tools out...thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Becareful when it starts getting snug tap it a quick time with the airgun and keep checking it and tightening it! Till ya happy! If ya over tighten it ya will need a new crush sleeve the spec for the pinion is 20 inch pounds to turn it! So thats a lttle effort to turn with ya hand ya should feel a little drag!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

It's not a problem, it's normal. Even with a half inch drive impact gun it takes a decent amount of time to get it run in all the way correctly.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

I got it in last night, thanks guys.