Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Tell me about Iraq before I leave Jan 07, 2006.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about Iraq before I leave Jan 07, 2006.

Everyone that's been to Iraq, tell me some stuff about it. I was stationed in Germany from 1997-2000(Spangdahlem AB, Air Force). Now I am a civilian and heading to Iraq to work for Lier Sigler. A little bit more money being a civilian . I don't know what camp I will be going to, but will be heading to Camp Anaconda first for processing. I am looking for info on all sorts of things, like weather(cloudy at all, 1000 degrees everyday?, rain?, sandstorms?.etc). Just spill the beans.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Well I was outside of Al Nasyiriah (sp) and I have two photos of my friends g-shock watch, the first at 11:00 at 139.5 F not 10 min later he watch went blank. Moonsoon season will be starting up right about now, it rain pretty heavy on and off for 4-5 weeks. After that it starts to get cold im guessing probably around 30 F at night. When it starts to warm up in Feb-March thats when the Sandstorms kick in until late July then it dies down for a month and late Aug they start back up for 2 months then you complete you 1 miserable cycle in Iraq.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Oh, my friend is leaving Dec 10th, going to work for the same contractor so he will also want to know.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

hey I am here and it sucks. period end of story. but the weather goes from insane hot to down right cold. The whole no alcohol and no sex thing sucks. the vechiles over here are gutless and worthless. the sand or dirt or powder what ever the hell you want to classify it as gets on everything and everywhere. It smells like **** everywhere. It depends where you go but the internet is hardly up. The girls are sorta pretty bit the uso shows are cool. The food over here gets real boring really quick. There is just a lot of stuff that will bother you but you can't do anything about. Did I mention it is hell on relationships. I was married when I got here. I am now single. I guess you just have to make the best of the situation that you are in and find the good points like you are making damn good money and you get to see the world. well if you want to know more pm me
Old 11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

i was in the AF for 4 yrs and now am a civilian contractor in Iraq now. Im at tallil AB. I work for Lockheed Martin. Definately more money in it as a civilian. in the summer here it gets up to 135. Jly is the hottest month. but May to Septmeber are really hot. and it doesnt cool off at night really unless you call 90-100 cool. it beats 135!! sand storms are far and few between but they suck bad. ive only seen one this yr that u didnt wanna be in. most are short and over really quick. right now is the rainy season and it will rain once a week until february probably. it was 44 degrees last night and 75 today. it will get to about 35 at night and 50 during the day next month. any other questions?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gojo83
hey I am here and it sucks. period end of story. but the weather goes from insane hot to down right cold. The whole no alcohol and no sex thing sucks. the vechiles over here are gutless and worthless. the sand or dirt or powder what ever the hell you want to classify it as gets on everything and everywhere. It smells like **** everywhere. It depends where you go but the internet is hardly up. The girls are sorta pretty bit the uso shows are cool. The food over here gets real boring really quick. There is just a lot of stuff that will bother you but you can't do anything about. Did I mention it is hell on relationships. I was married when I got here. I am now single. I guess you just have to make the best of the situation that you are in and find the good points like you are making damn good money and you get to see the world. well if you want to know more pm me

Well I am single , so no problem there. I am going to make damn good money too. I wouldn't go there just for the money though, it's like you said, getting to see the world. The expierance, even if it is miserable, is also what made up my mind.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by klw1313
i was in the AF for 4 yrs and now am a civilian contractor in Iraq now. Im at tallil AB. I work for Lockheed Martin. Definately more money in it as a civilian. in the summer here it gets up to 135. Jly is the hottest month. but May to Septmeber are really hot. and it doesnt cool off at night really unless you call 90-100 cool. it beats 135!! sand storms are far and few between but they suck bad. ive only seen one this yr that u didnt wanna be in. most are short and over really quick. right now is the rainy season and it will rain once a week until february probably. it was 44 degrees last night and 75 today. it will get to about 35 at night and 50 during the day next month. any other questions?

I have a few. How are the living conditions? Sleep arangments? Do you get to leave the camp, base? Do you work 12 hrs. 7 days a week? Are you working on the same camp with Lier Sigler employees? Is it hard to get some good sleep? Do the AC's keep the quarters somewhat comfortable? Well I shouldn't overwhelm you with questions, so i'll leave it at that for now.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

i sleep in a tent with 5 other dudes, we built rooms out of wood we got when we first got here. a/c's work well. its not miserable. i sleep during the day and only when the power goes out does it just get get unbearable. i can leave the base but just to go to another base. the way we have it set up u cant really leave the base. i can go on vacation whenever i want. ive never heard of Lier Sigler. i have trouble sleeping somtimes. i have some good sleeping pills for that. i work 12 hrs a day 6 days a week, actually seven more overtime for me. company doesnt say anything. more money they pay me the more money they get from the government. on your day off there aint crap to do anyways so might as well go sit in front of your computer like every other day. i have nothing but time so keep the quetions coming. ive been here for a yr and signed on for yr number 2 last week. oh well moneys good.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Nothing is too bad here. being a civilian. you won't or shouldn't be outside the wire. The only thing to look forward to is the rainy season. IT SUX. Have fun in CRC. Are you going to Benning or Bliss?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Nothing is too bad here. being a civilian. you won't or shouldn't be outside the wire. The only thing to look forward to is the rainy season. IT SUX. Have fun in CRC. Are you going to Benning or Bliss?

What is CRC? Don't know about Benning or Bliss. Processing in Houston, mabey that is what your asking.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

LOL! It is boring with flashes of excitement. Be prepared and buy a pocket ***** with ample amounts of lube and ****. You know, just the basics. We slept in climitized tents 4 of us. hung 550 cord across and sectioned'em off with poncho's or whatever. We lovingly called'em our jack shack's. The bordom will get to you so bad you will have contests to see who can rub one off in the most unusual place.(Yeah it's a sick world when yer a grunt) I would believe this to be basic fare amongst all Joe's. Then of course you will have your mission and your MOS should dictate what that is. Chain of comand will dictate how your schedule is. Most comanders play hard *** at 1st then everyone realizes oops they got bullets now and the ridgedness generally goes away if you are fortunate.
Anotherthing. Pack youself alot of zipp lock baggies. Not for your dope but for anything electronic or having to do with electronics. And of course most importantly your lube and pocket *****. (by the way dont buy one with the lips on it they eventually rub off) Sand is the enemy!!!! It gets everywhere. Scorpions are fun though. You can dig them up with an etool and screw driver. Place screw driver in hole and dig only as deep as your driver goes and repeat process until you reach scorpion. Then repeat at another location until another or a suitable amount is found then fight the mean little bastards. Everything bites you. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I got bit by a ******* lady bug over there. I was all like"awww a lady bug." the lady bug was like "AWWWWWWWW MUNCH!!" needless to say said lady bug did not live much longer after that. The flies and mosquitoes work in shifts. I have seen mosquitoes over there that could stand flat footed and butt **** a camel! The **** eaters dont taste bad(flies and dont sleep with your ******* mouth open)
BUt other than that I don't know why this place couldn't be a lovely vacation spot. Oh yeah the worst of it. No drag racing. Monsoon season is a blast! go to sleep in a desert and very literally you find yourself waking in the middle of a lake. And yes armor and humvee's can and will get stuck in that ****. Did I mention there's lot's of beating off? Good luck brother. It will fly by after the 1st 9 mo's. AH just read yer a civilian. So you don't have to worry ab=out ***** commanders. Bring lube anyway.
LAter.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
LOL! It is boring with flashes of excitement. Be prepared and buy a pocket ***** with ample amounts of lube and ****. You know, just the basics. We slept in climitized tents 4 of us. hung 550 cord across and sectioned'em off with poncho's or whatever. We lovingly called'em our jack shack's. The bordom will get to you so bad you will have contests to see who can rub one off in the most unusual place.(Yeah it's a sick world when yer a grunt) I would believe this to be basic fare amongst all Joe's. Then of course you will have your mission and your MOS should dictate what that is. Chain of comand will dictate how your schedule is. Most comanders play hard *** at 1st then everyone realizes oops they got bullets now and the ridgedness generally goes away if you are fortunate.
Anotherthing. Pack youself alot of zipp lock baggies. Not for your dope but for anything electronic or having to do with electronics. And of course most importantly your lube and pocket *****. (by the way dont buy one with the lips on it they eventually rub off) Sand is the enemy!!!! It gets everywhere. Scorpions are fun though. You can dig them up with an etool and screw driver. Place screw driver in hole and dig only as deep as your driver goes and repeat process until you reach scorpion. Then repeat at another location until another or a suitable amount is found then fight the mean little bastards. Everything bites you. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I got bit by a ******* lady bug over there. I was all like"awww a lady bug." the lady bug was like "AWWWWWWWW MUNCH!!" needless to say said lady bug did not live much longer after that. The flies and mosquitoes work in shifts. I have seen mosquitoes over there that could stand flat footed and butt **** a camel! The **** eaters dont taste bad(flies and dont sleep with your ******* mouth open)
BUt other than that I don't know why this place couldn't be a lovely vacation spot. Oh yeah the worst of it. No drag racing. Monsoon season is a blast! go to sleep in a desert and very literally you find yourself waking in the middle of a lake. And yes armor and humvee's can and will get stuck in that ****. Did I mention there's lot's of beating off? Good luck brother. It will fly by after the 1st 9 mo's. AH just read yer a civilian. So you don't have to worry ab=out ***** commanders. Bring lube anyway.
LAter.

That's all I need to know
Old 11-19-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

pretty much. I am sure I left something out. Best to mail order your pocket ***** in. I don't believe you would want to go through customs and have to explain what it is. People are friendly and most understand and are thankful you are there. Keep your mind open and just let life live. You will find it enjoyable. I would go back in a minute. It wasn't that bad. But it was. LOL.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Everyone has pretty much covered it all, but I have a question for the contractors. What are your jobs while your out there? I have seen some contractors do construction and driving around buses but thats all. Working under Lockheed, are you working with planes?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

with lockheed i fix Air Traffic Control radar. a few other electronic things associated with the airfield.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I havent been there since 1990-91 but after 13 years of drinking my brains out "I quit cold turkey a few years ago" I dont remember a whole lot. We didnt have showers and good food then mostly boiled chicken and mres,uht milk **** like that. It was filthy and I was glad to be back in germany. Wish I had been a little older the first time I went. Wouldnt mind going back in but now Im 35 and been out 10 years got a wife 22 years old and baby on the way and a good boring job. One bit of advice if you are young never get out of the army you will regret it and dont drink your life away while in there.Go to germany much better duty than stateside. 3/5 cav 3rd armored 11m
Old 11-19-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I been to LSA Andaconda/Balad Air Base. Got back in Jan. and come spring I will be back over there. I don't know if you'll be on that base but I know KBR runs shi+ there. If your over there for a yr like most of the civilians are maybe I'll see you around...lol Half of my shop is there right now. The place is a mortar, rocket and car bomb magnet. Careful where you be! Its starten to cool off there right now...then its going to drop off a lot and then the rainy season will start. Never snowed but cold temps with rain really blows. If your not sure what to bring just bring it anyway. And if you forget something just go to the BX. They have subway, pizza hut and Burger King there. Movie theater a huge *** stadium...50 cents arnold swartznegger and all those pople go out there and do whatever. Leeann tweeden i dunno how to spell her name but she was there and shes ungodly hot. Anymore specific Q's hit me up.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

well i'm here right now and the weather is starting to get pretty cold. seeing that when i got here it was around 125-135 daily. it just started the rainy season so pack something warm and that you could stay dry if possible. keep your head down and if you dont have religion find one. the ieds are pleantiful and they aren't afriad to use them very very often. i'm with a marine unit so we pretty much stay in **** constantly. all i can tell you is if it dont look right then it probably isn't dont second guess you instinct. if you're in a market place and it gets abandonded five min after you get there them sometime is getting ready to happen. when you get here just keep you head down and your *** puckered.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I been to LSA Andaconda/Balad Air Base. Got back in Jan. and come spring I will be back over there. I don't know if you'll be on that base but I know KBR runs shi+ there. If your over there for a yr like most of the civilians are maybe I'll see you around...lol Half of my shop is there right now. The place is a mortar, rocket and car bomb magnet. Careful where you be! Its starten to cool off there right now...then its going to drop off a lot and then the rainy season will start. Never snowed but cold temps with rain really blows. If your not sure what to bring just bring it anyway. And if you forget something just go to the BX. They have subway, pizza hut and Burger King there. Movie theater a huge *** stadium...50 cents arnold swartznegger and all those pople go out there and do whatever. Leeann tweeden i dunno how to spell her name but she was there and shes ungodly hot. Anymore specific Q's hit me up.
I was out there when 50 cent tried to do a show. the whole time he kept bithin about how hot it was and then quickly got off the stage but it was alright. Wayne Newton was cool though. It kills me to see fine *** ladies show up because out there you are deprived of this for long periods and the first thing you want to do when you get back is have some drunken sex
Old 11-21-2005, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

COLD AS **** IN THE WINTER AND HOT AS HELL IN THE SUMMER!! It even fucken snowed.. all i did was patrols all day get shot at do missions in the nite if i wasnt doing a patrol get shot at more.. get blown up by an I.E.D patrols somemore... shot at again. Rarely ever ate at the chow hall always MRE No time for internet or phones and when i did all the pogs tied up the lines.. Lots of bugs camel spiders are not a myth! and there ugly fuckerz too. But your under a civi... hmm i got offerd a job with black water when i get out gettn shot at some more but the money is dayamn good!!! starting out $550 a day.. but i dont think my life is worth it. Well basiccly i had a shittey year over there in mosul ( not to far from Anaconda ) No chix at all and if there are they are all dirty ***** and garanteed they have herpes! at least %80 It rains like hell when it rains.. i mean it pooooorrrsss!! hate it. And the dirt sux gets everywere!!!! everywere! it will ruin your game systems. And fucken hadji will try to rip your *** off! make friend with the infantry and when they patrol the markets like we did they can get you **** dirt cheap. Dont let hadji cut your hair..!!!!! ever!!! shave it yourself. And if you do wait til they give you there mesage! lol oh and dont get scared when they light the cotton stick on fire.. And alcohal isnt to hard to get..Just talk to the terps. (interpreters) they can smuggle you anythign from steroids/****/alcohal! you name it they can probablly get it but they will charge you.Well just to sum it all up IRAQ ******* SUX! but i did see quite a few 55/57 bel airs!!! as fucken taxis..... Oh and ask around to the hadji guys for internet! you can get them to set it up in your room! just for a small fee but basiclly have fun bro! be safe hope you dont have to work to much.

Last edited by 01ls1lover; 11-21-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Tell me about Iraq before I leave Jan 07, 2006.