Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the air bridge and air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the air bridge and air filter?

Recently had G5X-3 cam, AFR 205 heads, and FAST 90mm intake done on my '02 Z06. Took it to the road course yesterday and it ran great, but at the end of the day, I noticed my air filter was dripping with oil. Looks like it came from the line that runs from the passenger side head to the air bridge (this line runs to the TB on stock setup). Search yielded everything from big cam reversion to rings to valve seals. Motor has 9500 miles on it with only about 250 miles on the h/c.

If its just the cam causing this, would running a catch can or one-way valve on that line solve the problem with no adverse effects? I have an AMW catch can on the pcv system now, but nothing on this particular line. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds like a catch can would help you out quite a bit.

Are you running aftermarket rockers? If so, did you clearance the valve covers so the rockers would clear?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi G's caused that with increased crankcase pressures. Looks like your system is not coping.
BTW, with the LS6 system, why are you using a catch can?
I would re-route my PCV to original and run the cover line to catchcan > can to tb.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

TAQuickness - stock rockers.

PREDATOR-Z - Thanks, that would explain it as I was running hard on slicks. Right now, I have the line running from the valley cover to the can, then from the can to the intake behind the TB. I installed it because there was tiny bit of oil behind the TB back before the H/C install despite the LS6 pcv system. Considering there was almost no oil in the can yesterday, your suggestion sounds like a better way. Maybe run a second can between the valve cover and intake?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the LS6 PCV system requires some amount of pressure to operate efficiently.
The can IMO would take away most of that.
Double check if your valve is not sticking also. You can clean it with gas or brake cleaner or other oil solvant.
Try my suggestion for awhile see if it is better.
BTW, I run a clear fuel filter between cover and tb also to catch any vapors, work well with me (used a VW clear filter). My Greddy takes care of 98% of my PCV/oil issues.