Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on carmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on carmax

I've heard mixed reviews from buying from carmax. Who has bought their LS1 from carmax and how did it go? Would anyone recommend buying through them or not? This might be an easier route for me for finding an fbod and getting it shipped...even tho carmax is extremely overpriced (we're assuming I can find a decent deal)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a buddy who bought his z28 with about 40k (i think) for somthing like 11,000 at car max. if you find a car you want, talk to a sales person about it, after 3 weeks on the lot they will whole sale the car. he had a good experence.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

I tried to buy a camaro from them and I will never deal with them again. They are all over priced scumbags. They wont deal with you what so ever and dont even try to trade in a car they will rip you every way.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by formula001
I tried to buy a camaro from them and I will never deal with them again. They are all over priced scumbags. They wont deal with you what so ever and dont even try to trade in a car they will rip you every way.
Haha yeah I have experience with that. My grand cherokee is kbb at around 14 grand and they offered me no more than 7g. Its my instinct to steer clear from them, but I figure if I can find a good deal on one, then its atleast worth a shot. Any other thoughts?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

I would try and buy from private party. Just keep looking till you find one, its worth the drive most of the time I bought my car for fairly cheap I just looked around alot for i bought it.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my TA from them, the price was a little high but not too bad... I could have bought private but i was too picky about the color combo and it being an M6. Overall good experience.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Banned

dumbest ******* ive ever meet, i took my truck there to get it appriased b4 i bought my ws6 they wanted 2g's. turned around walked out and got in the truck stoped at the front door and pulled a good one wheel wonder

96 nissan pickup aka the offroading machine
Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Bought the Firehawk from them. Got a good deal on it. 700 miles, paid 24K. Gave us 12K trade in on an 01 mustang gt. That trade in price was right with what other dealers wanted to give us on trade in. They didn't notice any of the problems either that a private party person might have (clutch was going, brakes needed to be replaced.)

The prices I've seen at the Maryland Carmax's haven't been too out of line.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my 97 Formula from them. It had 35k on it and was 10k. It stalled and **** when I first bought it, but I made them fix EVERYTHING possible when this stuff hapened. It stalled on the test drive, but I got it anyways because I know if they sold me a car it would have to be fixed.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA
Bought the Firehawk from them. Got a good deal on it. 700 miles, paid 24K. Gave us 12K trade in on an 01 mustang gt. That trade in price was right with what other dealers wanted to give us on trade in. They didn't notice any of the problems either that a private party person might have (clutch was going, brakes needed to be replaced.)

I bought my car at the Laurel one. I live in VA, but my GF lives over there. Their prices were not bad at all.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

I was going to buy my SS from them but someone already paid and had dibs on the one I saw.. However It made me search some more. Seems like a good deal from what I heard. Make sure during the test drive you have it taken to an independant mechanic to have a once over.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA

Which carmax did you go to? White Marsh? The only reason I'm not so thrilled about them is because of the crappy offer they gave me. And I've heard that they make everything in the car look nice, until a couple months later when things start to go wrong. Their service and follow ups have been pretty good though. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Which carmax did you go to? White Marsh? The only reason I'm not so thrilled about them is because of the crappy offer they gave me. And I've heard that they make everything in the car look nice, until a couple months later when things start to go wrong. Their service and follow ups have been pretty good though. Anyone have any other thoughts?
When I bought my car it was filthy. The manager told the guys to clean it up when it was getting the temp license plate put on, all he did was clean off the license plate frame, no joke.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
When I bought my car it was filthy. The manager told the guys to clean it up when it was getting the temp license plate put on, all he did was clean off the license plate frame, no joke.
Gotcha. Im also talking about like everything looking clean, but then internals and mechanics of the car are shot and dying and you don't find any of this out until months later when the warantees up.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

I recently purchased my 02 WS6 from Carmax. It had only 9661 miles and I paid $21988.00. It's like brand new, the owner took good care of it and it was all stock. It took over four weeks to be transfered though. I was not too happy with the salesman because of lack of communication. He told me to expect the car to be delivered on a certain date, and nothing. The car was just sitting on a truck for a week. I had a hard time trusting the sales people, and I was hoping that the car was everything I expected. I was sceptical at first because of the 1996 painted WS6 wheels it had. I've seen fake WS6's in their inventory, so I had them check the RPO codes for the "WS6" . It was there. When it finally arrived, the car was exactly what I wanted, except for the wheels. I fixed that right away. I may have just got lucky with my car because I couldn't be happier. I think if you are looking for a specific car and color that is all stock and low milage, then Carmax is an option. If you have it transfered from another store then don't expect it to arrive on time.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I bought mine from carmax here in houston. I was happy with the transaction. It was priced fairly and the main reason i bought it was because i bought my miata from them a couple of years ago and i also wanted a warranty. i got a 3 yr 36k mi additional on the car when i bought it.

Chris
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

I bought mine from carmax of Tampa. They suck at detailing but the service and transaction was done very well and fast. I got a great deal on my '01 WS6, the badge was missing so they coded it as a regular T/A. It had the hood and wheels so I checked the RPO code and it was a real WS6 just no badge. It was the cheapest I could find for that year with similar mileage by 3 grand. Thank you carmax.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heymoej
they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hmm could u elaborate? haha
Old 11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

what do you guys expect? private sellers are trying to unload their car for something else or can't afford it no longer.

Carmax is a business out to make a profit. they've got overhead. of course they're going to want to pay for it less and sell it higher.

and it's the beginning of winter. they know a RWD v8 is going to sit in their lot for months.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on carmax