Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

air to air converted into water to air ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air to air converted into water to air ?

I'v been working with a shop that has told me to take a precision turbo air to air intercooler and tig weld boxes on it to convert it to a water to air intercooler, what do you think?

the intercooler is 3.75x8x24 and will suport 600hp as a air to air,I will have two 2" boxes welded front and rear for the water to run in and out.

do you think this will suport 1000hp,the shop said it will be twice the rated power, that would be 1200hp.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

no it will not automatically double the cooling capacity.

on the core, there are end plates, and then there is the side the air goes through to cool in an A2A setup.

A2W gains its effiency from flowing the charge air through the big side (where cool air acts in A2A setup) and runs the water through the end plate (where charge air goes in A2A) this means air is passing over a larger ammount of the core helping it flow more which means it can handle more power.

if you havent seen what im talking about it prolly doesnt make sense, and all cores dont have the end plates, some just end
Old 12-01-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if that's a good idea... it will work, but it will be huge, and heavy! Also, you will probably have more pressure loss from the core itself than you really need to for a properly sized A2W core... you will have a larger core than necessary, and more piping than necessary, increasing the volume of your system and pressure loss resulting from the routing. I would think a more compact A2W core would have better flow properties, making your setup more efficient.

Will it work - I don't see why not. Is it worth it? Eh... not so sure about that either! To do it right, it would be better just to use an A2W core and route your piping appropriately.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69firebird
no it will not automatically double the cooling capacity.

on the core, there are end plates, and then there is the side the air goes through to cool in an A2A setup.

A2W gains its effiency from flowing the charge air through the big side (where cool air acts in A2A setup) and runs the water through the end plate (where charge air goes in A2A) this means air is passing over a larger ammount of the core helping it flow more which means it can handle more power.

if you havent seen what im talking about it prolly doesnt make sense, and all cores dont have the end plates, some just end
Less air side pressure drop as well..........
Old 12-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Alot of time we use special radiator cores for this instead of an intercooler cores.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

69 firebird I get what your saying on the way a A2W works

the intercooler would be mounted in the front bumper like a normal A2A so the pipe work would be no more than any other sys?

but I guess what everyone is getting at is it would not flow the air I'm needing and would become a restriction,that sucks because I would have $700 into the cooler and I got with precision turbo and the proper one will cost me $1200 to $1500.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Just be carefull most air to air manufactures have an allowable leakdown rate. If you sell the air to air and draw me up something i might be able to do a little better then that. Just PM me
Old 12-02-2005, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

well I just ditched the hole A2A into A2W thing found a thing on ebay for a precision 1000hp A2W for $750 to the door I would of had that into the other cooler.

thanks for all the help....