Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Might be picking up a 98 Z28 w/ turbo and blown tranny...need tranny advice (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might be picking up a 98 Z28 w/ turbo and blown tranny...need tranny advice (A4)

I might be picking up a 98 Z28 that has a built 6.0L with a turbo (not sure of the specs yet). Supposedly the motor and turbo are good for up to 700HP with a good tune, etc. etc. Well, the 3 - 4 clutch packs are fried in this puppy with only 4 PSI to the motor (making maybe 450 - 500 to RW). What would you all recommend as far as a tranny for this car. I've been trying to as much research as I can, but I really don't know where to begin (my first turbo car, so I've been trying to get the info on that mostly). Do they make 4L60E that can handle that power? rebuild with beefier components? or should I go for a conversion with a turbo 400? Thanks everyone.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call Dave at Rock ON transmission there in Krum/Denton Texas and get his level 5 4l60e. You'll keep your o/d...steep 1st gear...and he is local for you. The vid in my sig is his tranny. It will hold 700rwhp in a full weight car.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

what's he asking for the car?

better make sure the tranny is the only thing that's burnt.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is...he is a good friend of mine that is going to med school and needs to get rid of it for fairly cheep.

He did mention that the passenger window motor is going out too....other than that...everything is in great shape. He has never taken it to the track since the 6.0L got the turbo on it as he hasn't had time nor the money to save for a rearend or tranny to hold the power.

Thanks Cablebandit for the hook up. I will check them out. Hopefully if and when I get the car I can get it into the nines. It is going to take some work though. Stock tranny, rear, and suspension. Have a lot of work to do.

Thanks again guys.... Look forward to asking a lot more questions.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice run by the way!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Second vote for Rock On.. I know 2 locals running them with good success.. one with boltons and nitrous, and of course cablebandit 9/10 second car.

I'm in the process of getting one done for mine, soon as a good friend of mine takes care of business (ie. gets off his ***).

lol.

Peace,
Josh
Old 12-07-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd suggest going straight to a th400, 4l60's just don't last long if you are power hungry like I am. R.I.P. over drive, I knew him well.

(p.s. you can add an aftermarket over drive for about $1500, i'll probably do this in the future so I can do some highway rolls)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking TH400...but not sure of what all needs to be done to make the conversion. I know they make adapters and matched bell housings to mate with the LS1, but what needs to be done with sensors and the computer? Anything major?

One thing that might make me shy away from that is streetability. The car will see the track maybe a few times a month (if I can afford the trips...our local track is going down the pooper) and the rest of the time be a weekend cruiser. For the next couple of years it is going to be my project car so I have some time to decide more on where I want it to go. Thanks again everyone for your advice. Much appreciate it.

- Pat
Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just talked with Dave at Rock On and I must say, a really nice guy. Looks like I'll need to start saving for that tranny. Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Might be picking up a 98 Z28 w/ turbo and blown tranny...need tranny advice (A4)