Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather Station ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weather Station ??

What weather stations are you drag racers using? Summit has Altronics and TAG. Is one any better than the other or have more features? Looking for one that will also give ET predictions.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are very good products, but remember to take those predictions with a grain of salt. Do not look at the value as the actual ET that the car will run, but rather an indication of how the air will affect future runs. Also, for it to be accurate, you need to keep all your very good runs in the same database. And also from varing track at different altitudes. I use an Altronics PerformAire.

One final note, be sure to write down the weather info that you are using to predict, it will come in handy when you need to reference a perticular run at a certain weather condition.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like Altronics with Crew Cheif 6 software. Very good combo IMO.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

I use the TAG. I also jot down all my info on my time slip. Tire pressure, shock settings, launch rpms and the DA the TAG gives me. I compare the TAG prediction and DA at the time of my next pass with my actual time slip info. Works for me.

Never log in a poor pass. Didn't hook or whatever.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
Never log in a poor pass. Didn't hook or whatever.
Good point Tom!
Probably one of the most common mistakes people make.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant go wrong with either one. I personally write down every run that we make down the track. Good or bad run. The more data you have the better you can predict what she is going to run and how many runs on tires, oils, motor and trans.

Coach
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
Cant go wrong with either one. I personally write down every run that we make down the track. Good or bad run. The more data you have the better you can predict what she is going to run and how many runs on tires, oils, motor and trans.

Coach
Agreed! I also keep all the info on every run, I only use the good passes for predictions though, I don't want any of my bads (which I have plenty of ) scewing the run predictions..My car is pretty predictable...I'm old and unpredictable

Last edited by Maggie; 12-19-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info. I use to do some bracket racing a few years ago and am looking to get back into it. With the tough competition these days I will need all the help I can get.

How about the optional O2 sensor, is it worth it?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99LS1_TA
Thanks for all the info. I use to do some bracket racing a few years ago and am looking to get back into it. With the tough competition these days I will need all the help I can get.

How about the optional O2 sensor, is it worth it?
I've got the O2, haven't even taken it out of the box yet and the track here is closed untill after the 1st. of the year...so, it's going to be a few weeks untill I can play with it.
What I need is a run predictor that will predict things like "maggie, someone is going to take a picture and you are going to red light when you see the flash go off!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Maggie
... What I need is a run predictor that will predict things like "maggie, someone is going to take a picture and you are going to red light when you see the flash go off!
You should try what Jen uses ... blinders on the outside edge of the helmet. All she can see is down the track and the tree (from either lane), no distration from the opponent or side line photographers ... like me.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
You should try what Jen uses ... blinders on the outside edge of the helmet. All she can see is down the track and the tree (from either lane), no distration from the opponent or side line photographers ... like me.
yep, I need to get me some blinders
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

I've been using the TAG station and its ok but it started acting a lil goofy this year and had to go back to using the notes more than the station, the et predictor was always off by like a tenth or so but was always off by that much. Even though I always use both.