Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP x-pipe won't fit coated pacesetters

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP x-pipe won't fit coated pacesetters

It makes sense that the slip fit is for a ~3" pipe, and the coated headers are a little larger in diameter. Has anyone had this problem before?

It looks like I will either have to grind off the coating to get the collector diameter smaller (this could take some time) or have a flange welded to the collector (which F's up the coating anyway) and flange the x-pipe.

The local muffler shop can't go larger than a standard 3" slip fit, but the fit isn't exactly round anyway on the collector.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll go, just take your time and get a big rubber hammer...

That's what I did.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:35 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't a local shop expand the O.D. of the Y-pipe some more at the slip fit ends?
Shouldn't be a problem.
Worst case, rubber hammer and lubricant.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I will get the car up higher, lube up and knock the hell out of it.

It just looks like the coating is taking up too much space.

At least IF I get it on it won't leak.

EDIT: I have a torch - should I heat the slip-on pieces?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

You can also rent an exhaust pipe expander from your local autozone to enlarge the pipe just enough for you to slip them together.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

I will have to check that out.

The local exhaust shop (and a good one) could only enlarge a 3" large enough to slip over a 3". He said he could get a tad more maybe, but it would be a conical englargement. I will try autozone first, then I may let him try if I can't get it to work.

Thanks everyone
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did my tsp true duals with pacesetters and had the same issue. You really need to get everything on and easily movable. I rented the exhaust expander and used my impact gun to get more out of the pipe. I laid into it hard and really did not get a big increase in size so you do not have to be worried about going to big. I actually ended up breaking the expander somehow because the nut that expands it stripped out on my last pipe. I also wet sanded the coating and used anti seize with a little jb blaster. Then out came the big rubber hammer for getting the rest of the x pipe up. You can also sand the inside of the other pipes and such to make things nice and smooth and slip on easier. Oh yeah it still is gonna be a bitch gettin the rest to fit after you get over this hurdle. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my pacesetters and my hooker ory. I just took an ajustable wrench and went around the y pipe opening it up a little. got it started and pounded it on with a rubber mallet. put a band clamp over it when you are done. the clamps that came with my hooker looked like they were for some toy.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

(gogogadget on brother's account)

Wow, this sounds like more work than the engine swap I just finished.

I'm not kidding, either.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wierd, i have the TSP duals on my car with coated pacesetters and they went on pretty easy. What did you end up doing? The collector on the header should only be 3" OD.....
Old 12-28-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

although not pacesetters(QTP here), i have the TSP duals. a few things i highly recommend are filing down the inside and outside of all of the joints on the system. another thing is lubing up all joints. put the system together off the car completely without clamps to make sure everything is fully adjustable. some high grit sandpaper might help a bit. that coating is goin to get scratched to **** on the end anyway with teh pipe over it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

I have it assembled sitting on the floor, but took apart the two pieces that slip on each collector. I think that filing is a good idea, I just may go a little past filing and take some coating off anyway.

thanks

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
although not pacesetters(QTP here), i have the TSP duals. a few things i highly recommend are filing down the inside and outside of all of the joints on the system. another thing is lubing up all joints. put the system together off the car completely without clamps to make sure everything is fully adjustable. some high grit sandpaper might help a bit. that coating is goin to get scratched to **** on the end anyway with teh pipe over it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I haven't installed them yet. The collector is 3"OD, but I assume that is before coating. The coating is thicker than black paint, and I was worried that I should have a different x-pipe for coated headers. Now that I know it is normal I am not so worried.

My last headers (jet hot'd hookers) were for an LT1 with 3 bolt flanges. I could have my h-pipe off in 20 minutes.

This is going to SUCK.

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Wierd, i have the TSP duals on my car with coated pacesetters and they went on pretty easy. What did you end up doing? The collector on the header should only be 3" OD.....
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Default thanks

(gogogadget using brothers computer)

Thanks for the suggestions and overall feedback.

I used the autozone pipe expander, and could not have done the job without it. I had the thing installed and looking good in less than 2 hours.

Chris
94 Z28 LS2 A3