LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help, Whats Wrong This Car?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, Whats Wrong This Car?!?!?

My friend just nabed a nice 1993 Z28 for $4250 from a damn car lot! Its a beautiful clean car with brand new leather and only 70,000 miles. It is an A4. Its got headers from what i can see. Its got 4 wheel disk brakes. Im thinking since its an A4 it has 2.73 gears just like the LS1's.

When i rode in the car, it seemed to lack alot of power but sounded like it runs alright. Its got a raspy-*** Borla muffler and tips on it I THINK. But i know borla tips when i see them.

It has some kind of el cheapo dgital Air/fuel ratio tach that was reading in between Rich and Lean. Lean being at the bottom of the tach. Now the tach doesnt seem to read anything. Im thinking its running really lean now that the tach doesnt read anything....or maybe the damn tach is broken, but i doubt that the tach is broken. Maybe an injector is CLOGGED? I dont know '93 cars beause ive heard they are pretty different and come with a non-programable computer.

Can someone enlighten me on this and give me some suggestions as to why this car isnt running like it should. We are going to take it out to an old barren road and do a couple blasts. He just got the car yesterday and I havent told him that I think its underpowerd LOL because I dont want to make him feal bad that he just dropped $4500 (with Tax and tag) on a shitty car (its not a shitty car) Hes not too mechanically inclined.

Can someone help me?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

im not sure what the problem is... but the cheapo a/f gauges are usually worthless...

and the main difference with the 93's are they are speed density.. not MAF... pretty much the major difference
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

It may feel "different" to an LS1 guy. A stock 2.73 LT1 with exhaust isn't really going to blow anyone's mind when they get in it (mine did with my friends when I was 16 )

Have you driven an LT1 before?

All I can say is, take it to the track or put it on a dyno. Unless he has a wideband unit, that A/F gauge is worthless - more or less a light show.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MattZ28
It may feel "different" to an LS1 guy. A stock 2.73 LT1 with exhaust isn't really going to blow anyone's mind when they get in it (mine did with my friends when I was 16 )

Have you driven an LT1 before?

All I can say is, take it to the track or put it on a dyno. Unless he has a wideband unit, that A/F gauge is worthless - more or less a light show.

Hope this helps.
LOL sorry for the misleading avatar. Yes, i have a N/A 383 LT1 Trans am.
Its goes Maybe thats why i didnt feel his car was fast.

Maybe Im just not feeling it. I should really take the car for a ride. Hes scared of that car though its hilarious. My car is the the shop because it was hit in the front fender. I havent ridden in a quick car in a while

Ha, and guess what, the el cheapo A/F ratio guage is working now. Man that thing had to be bought from Discount Auto Parts or something.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

if you want more info for the 93's come to Speeddensity.org
we can answer all your questions from there... we all have 93's over there

Quick Reply: Need Help, Whats Wrong This Car?!?!?