LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

underdrive pulley problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley problem

hey new here, yes ive tried the search option for my problem but i guess im having technical diff....
here goes i bought a 97 a while back and the other day it just died at a red light, well afters hours of waiting finally got it home i was pretty sure distributor or timing chain it was dist. anyway the z had underdrive pulleys and for the life of me i cant get the crank pulley of to change my cap and rotor
the book shows nothing because the stock im guessing is easily removed in this situation and one more question for yall since im this far in should i go ahead and replace the timming chain and gears? has a 120 on it.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't worry about the timing chain, I had 156,000 on mine, a lot 1/4 at a time, and it was still in great shape slight signs of wear. as for removeing the underdrive pulley, just unbolt the three bolts use a pulley puller to remove the underdrive pulley from the crank hub which is pressed on and bolted in the center. then you will have to remove the crank hub with a pulley puller after removing the center bolt, and placing a longer one in that will not hold the pulley on so your puller will have something to press against.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Teching In

well ive tried a puller apparently im having a brain fart or somethin, because i tried to rig up a crows foot puller and just bent the bolt in the center then it dawned on me the crank hub is pressed on so how exactly would that type of puller work if the 3 bolts are being thread through the crank hub also probably wasnt suposed to but tried a 3 jaw puller and got nothing
not sure but what kind of puller ?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

OK the three bolts that thread through the hub are what is going to do the pulling. The center bolt of the crows foot goes through the hub and pushes it. Here's what I do. I unthread my crank bolt completely and then rethread it maybe a whole turn to catch a couple threads. The crow's foot bolt pushes against the head of the crank bolt and allows the hub to slide off. Try it again, I've done it several times now.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

if you pull the three bolts out of the ballecer you can take a dull punch and a hamer and hit on the inside next to the hub not the hub ears where the three bolts go through just right next to it then that peice should come right off as far as pulling the hub if your only doing a opti swap and not removeing the timing cover to repl timing set or cam you can leave the hub on it does not need to come off just for a opti swap just the ballancer