Ok, I've held out long enough, what intake, exhaust, & programmer for my '06 Duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok, I've held out long enough, what intake, exhaust, & programmer for my '06 Duramax?

2006 2500HD 6.6L HO Duramax (LBZ engine)

Wednesday will be 3 weeks since I've had the truck and its so hard leaving it stock. I just can't resist and I want to start out with doing an intake, exhaust, and programmer on it. That'll probably be it as far as performance goes, I'd like to do a few appearance mods, but that'll be for later. So what do you recommend?

Intake - Want more HP and better gas mileage

Exhaust - Want more HP, better gas mileage, and not too loud. Would like a nice sounding exhaust with great flow and produces great power.

Programmer - Want more HP, better gas mileage, and I guess different settings.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow Turbo-Back exhaust, K&N Intake, and whatever chip it was Powell put on his Duramax. Spend $1,000 and haul-*** in your truck...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Edge with the Juice box for the programmer.
friend of mine has one and loves it.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Quadzilla, there is a guy that went to Sanger and ran 7s with 37 superswappers on smoking them the whole way.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

The Edge box is a hoss box. Get that one.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** anything you put on there is a hoss
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm not looking to make this a race truck. I simply want to up the HP/TQ, get better gas mileage, and a better sounding exhaust. I currently get between 16-17 mpg in the city. I have yet to see what it gets on the highway. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ask chuck(HPE) what he had on his duramax
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Bully Dog makes a nice chip...Check them out.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

or......
www.performancetrucks.net
our sister site. duramax section
check it out.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club NA

I've checked into that site, but there's hardly any info on there. It seems like when we had our own truck section, it had more info.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

There are a bunch of Duramax specific forums where rednecks from all over the country hang out. Do a Google search.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Have you been to www.dieselplace.com yet?
I have a 40hp tow tune in mine and it can get you 0.5-2mpg increase depending on how you drive it. I have the Predator programmer. You can use it to change tire size, remove the 96mph governor, install 4 different power tunes, and run diagnostics. It has been proven that there is no air filter out there that is more efficient than the AC Delco stocker already on the truck and the intake doesn't do much more than amplifies the turbo sound. Removing the cat helps lower EGT and slightly improve milage. A nice 4" turbo back exhaust will be needed to keep EGT's down if you are going to be putting anything on it better than a tow tune. You also may want to install guages, pyro and boost guages since you are going to be pulling. If you go more than 90 hp with the tune, you may want to look at putting an upgrade into the Allison. There are a lot of boxes and programmers out there that do really nice. The Edge with Attitude is a real nice unit. One of the guys on the diesel place made an overhead mount. It monitors everything you would need including EGT's and boost (after installing the sending units).
Old 01-04-2006, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club NA

Reineke, I'm getting between 16-17 in the city with some highway and that's with being fairly easy on the gas. I have yet to tow or take any trips on it, so I don't know what the MPG is on those.

I didn't even think about the programmer having the cability to compensate for tire change because I did want to put bigger tires on it as it came with some rinky dink tires. I was thinking somewhere in the range of 285/75.

I was unaware that the stock air filter was proven and that it can't be beaten. If I can amplify the turbo sound with an aftermarket intake, I'd like to do it. Honestly, that was another thing that I wanted to get out of this, but didn't want to mention it.

As far as removing the cat, I'm not so sure on yet as I don't want the truck to be too loud.

What is EGT and from the way you put it, I assume you want lower numbers?

What do you suggest as far as an exhaust system?

Lastly, I wanted to add this as you brought it up, I'm not looking to put crazy numbers down on a dyno or have bragging rights of high HP/TQ numbers, I simply just want to add some power, have a nice sounding exhaust, make the turbo whistle louder, and increase fuel mileage. Those are my main concerns. I don't wanna do any other upgrades than the ones I'm inquiring about, so tranny upgrades would definately be out of the picture. Gauges will be something I'll probably add too.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone on the southside have a Duramax with exhaust on it? I'd like to hear the different sounds of different exhaust systems.

Reineke, do you have any input to what I posted above?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Look into the parts offered by Bully Dog and by Banks Performance, they have a lot of proven parts for the Duramax.

There is a local guy here with a 4-door 4wd duramax that runs low low sevens with slicks on all four tires. He's got quite a few Bully Dog Products on it and one of our nitrous systems. Looks kinda funny though, the slicks look like they are about to pop, haha.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Anyone on the southside have a Duramax with exhaust on it? I'd like to hear the different sounds of different exhaust systems.

Reineke, do you have any input to what I posted above?
Powell has a Magnaflow exhaust on his Durashit.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeramy: EGT - Exhaust gas temperature.

Ryan
Old 01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

My buddy has the edge box - really nice as you can change "stages" on the fly. Others might be like this.. I dunno.

Exhaust.. heh.. what exhaust? He's running a straight 4 inch - no muffler, no cats... Still damn quiet. Till you get on it. Then it sounds like a jet.

Airaid CAI.. Although one that's enclosed and doesn't pull in ambient warm air from the engine bay would be better.

To top it off he's running a propane kit. Dressed it up a little w/ 20 inch Foose wheels though. lol

Ran a 9.5 last time @ the track like this. 'Course, he had his gixxer1000 in the bed, and 4 passengers in the truck. Along w/ the family pet - a little dog.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...the exhaust I want to keep legal, increase power, increase gas mileage, and to sound good. I don't want it to be obnoxious when I give it some gas. I'm not looking to make this truck into race this truck.

The programmer, I'd like different levels/stages, but not a must, would like to increase power, increase gas mileage, and to have other adjustments for tire sizes and whatnot as I plan to put bigger tires on it. I'm thinking 285/75.

The intake, again, increase power, increase gas mileage, and to make the whistle of the turbo to be louder. That may sound corny to some of you, but I think its badass to hear the turbo whistle its *** off.

Ben, did you ever ask Powell what chip(s) he has on his truck?