Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have a question about my motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default have a question about my motor.

back a couple of months ago i thought my motor in my 98 Z28 let go. (the stock motor).here is the oringinal thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lounge/418735-well-my-motor-let-go.html

i suspected a dropped valve or collapsed lifter. i pulled the top end of the motor off all the way down to the shortblock while in the car. i didnt find anyhting wrong in the heads and all the lifters pump up like they are supposed too. well toady i got ready to pull out the short block today and found my problem. 1 torque converter bolt missing, 2 i undid with my fingers, and 1 tight. no sign of lock tight. this is an after market stall too.

question 1. what is the likley hood of having engine damage from this? i havent pulled the shortblock yet. i figure the flywheel is jacked. i can rortate the shortblock with ease and it has no apparent snags. smooth a silk.

question 2. what about the tranny? any negitive effects this could have on the tranny?

thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

the engine is likely fine, i would guess the tranny could be suspect from the converter wobbling around though, try the auto tranny forum guru's
Old 01-04-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to say the engine is just fine. reason being, when a stock 10 bolt for example breaks and the axles lock, the tranny usually dies with it but the engine is usually fine. Also those loose bolts would have meant the engine had no real physical connection to the transmission. I think you got pretty damn lucky, perhaps the stall is ok too.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the trans is likely damaged front pump, and front seals from the converters wobbling, and I'd be wary of the converter mounting tangs if the converter was wobbling it could've stressed the mounts, but the engine should be ok
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

glad to hear it. what you all are saying backs up my train of thought. i am not to worried about the tranny as long as the engine is okay.