Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GMMG really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is GMMG really worth it?

I am wanting to upgrade my stock catback, i have always liked the way GMMG looks and sounds, but my question is do you think that it is worth the 850 plus shipping cause i am not sure. is this catback gonna sound like i got a cutout or does it have a different sound then this? I plan on going with some longtube headers for QTP and there catted y-pipe, will this be to loud? I want a clean crisp sound, no rasp! I was leaning toward Hooker catback but dont really like the tips that this catback has on it. Is the hooker stainless steel and will it hold up as good as GMMG?

Any imput will be most definally apreciated! Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

hooker is not stainless steel but the tips are. the GMMG is the best exhaust outthere for these cars, but you have to think is it worth it to you. I love my hooker and with the extra money I got some headers.
the GMMG will sound great with LT. it is also stainless steel.
you get what you pay for with GMMG, but 300 bucks for the hooker is hard to pass up.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all in what $$$ means to you I guess. I picked up my Hooker CB and Pacesetter LT & ORY for $774, or $100 less then the GMMG CB itself. If you have the $$$ and really want it go for it then. Check out LS1sounds.com to see what it sounds like. As stated above the Hooker CB sounds great and flows great for less than $300
Old 01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

850 is with the premium tips and shipping is included. I have had my GMMG on for 372 days and I have loved every second of driving it. I cannot wait til my KOOKS catted Y gets here so i can really unleash the fury. Bein a college student it took me a little while to save up for it but it was worth the wait. I live about 30 min from the shop and felt like it was my duty as an Atlantan to support my hometown folks also. But to answer your question in two words.......HELL YES
Old 01-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

I'm worried about the GMMG not being loud enough for my taste. Especially at 850 bucks. I cant decide between the LM and the GMMG, I wont be running LT headers or anything like that. I'm just keeping mine stock with a cat-back....LM is only 350 bucks, loud and from what I hear isnt too raspy on a stock car. I could then spend my money on other mods.....its a really hard desicion though. I dont want my exhaust sounding crappy, but loud is my thing. I guess its just what you want and get out of it. If money is no object and you're a baller, get the GMMG. Otherwise, get something else and spend all that money on other mods!
Old 01-07-2006, 04:39 PM
8 Second Club

Deffinatly dont get the QTP headers, Kooks is the only way to go. Ive seen both in person and Kooks are far better IMO. QTP are still good and better then what I have on my car but I wouldnt waste my money on them if your going stainless. I would get kooks. And for a cat back I would get borla. GMMG are great IMO but they might be too raspy for you.

Last edited by LS1SpeedAddict; 01-07-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is worth every little penny of it. I have heard many exhuast systems on LS1's and they just don't really compare to the chambered cat back. It is a unique old muscle car sound. I've had it on since June and absolutley love it. I got mine installed at GMMG, and they were very nice to me. I did not get the premium tips because I could not afford it at the time and could not wait. I have also had a lot of compliments on the way it sounds as well. Good luck makeing a decision.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy an electric cutout for $150 and get a set of longtubes and ORY with the money left over. You'll be able to run stealth or loud in secs of a toggle switch. This would be the route I would take if I was modding my car over again. You'll be far more pleased with the above setup than just having a GMMG catback. A friend has a GMMG on his car. Sounded really good with stock manifolds and cats but when he went LTs and ORY it turned to crap. Very raw and raspy compared to the smooth burble on the stock manifolds. Just my $.02
Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want loud, than get the loudmouth. granted, it may not be as good of quality as the gmmg but it will be loud. i have the LM, no cats and long tubes + full bolt-ons, and i love the way it sounds. i am going to be putting a cam in soo aswell. its all in how much money you have and in personal preferrence. to me...the loudmouth is awesome but there will be those who will tell you it sounds like **** too. just my two cents.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GMMG is the way to go. That was my first mod, even before a lid. It is pricey, but I wanted stainless steel and great sound. I was looking at a Mangaflow CB for $375, but decided to spend more on the GMMG. Best choice I've ever made. Sounds awesome on stock cats/manifolds. My line of thinking, was to get it right (for me) the first time. I've read a LOT of posts where somebody got a certain catback on stock cats and manifolds, but then got longtubes and ORY and the sound went to ****, and had to replace the catback. From what I've read with GMMG, longtubes and CATS is the way to go. I know from personal experience with my 89 Formula 350, I HATED buying performance parts, but only realizing that they suck and have to buy the SAME part again by a different company. Probably because before all I had were Summit and Jegs catalogs before I had internet and this board. Had I not found boards like this, I would have ordered everything from them, which means no GMMG, QTP, Kooks, SPEC clutches and an assload of other sponsors here that are leaps and bounds ahead of the "common" parts Summit/Jegs sells.

Good luck with whatever route you go.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Board Certified Idiot

well If you like that sound and it is stianless i say go for it.It Has its own sounds.Next to DUals. I am saving up for it myself As i type this. Just look at it this way. you will have to wait a month or 2 longer to get it cause it Coast more. Thats all .. i dont like the special tips u get with it They only look Right on a T/A. so its only going to coast me $700 HAHA Good luck on ur deshion
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Deffinatly dont get the QTP headers, Kooks is the only way to go. Ive seen both in person and Kooks are far better IMO. QTP are still good and better then what I have on my car but I wouldnt waste my money on them if your going stainless. I would get kooks. And for a cat back I would get borla. GMMG are great IMO but they might be too raspy for you.
with long tubes and cats, gmmg has absolutely zero rasp. sock on the other hand it a little rasp around the 2000 rpm range.
lt, cats, gmmg. you cant go wrong. i wouldnt change anything
Old 01-08-2006, 01:24 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kooks do have great quality (i've installed a set before), but now the QTP's with the HVMC's (high velocity merge collectors) are at the same price as they were before WITHOUT them. They also come fully POLISHED (stainless of course). Go check them out in the group purchase section.

I think the GMMG has a bit of a heafty pricetag for what you get IMHO. If you want great sound, NOTHING will sound as good as duals. Maby i'm just spoiled to my duals or somthing, but i find myself to be very anti-y-pipe
Old 01-08-2006, 02:30 AM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

just do it...
Old 01-08-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

GMMG all the way. Dont Z many f-Bodies in my area w/a GMMG but that sound is priceless.Worth every penny!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, that's a 1st. I've never heard that before....
Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally installed the SLP Loud-Mouth on my TA, after a month, I stopped driving the car (car is a daily driver), Too loud and raspy. Ordered up the GMMG, and couldnt be happier!

My car being a firehawk, draws attention visually, and with the GMMG along with LT, it gets just as much attention with the sounds.

$700 well spent for me.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Board Certified Idiot

GMMG to RASPY?? HUH??? GMMG is prolly as close to True DUALS as you can come to. it has a LOW DEEP TONE. in the upper RPM it dose not SCREAM LIKE MOST CAT-Backs either its more like a ROAR. And that is JUST STOCK. Get what you want tho i SAY but if your thinking 2ice on it. just think what it would be like to get a differ set up then actually bump into someone with it. Which is Vry RARE. and it sound much better. You Would be kicking yourself in the A$$ then . ASK yourself this do you like the REDNECK sound or Do you like a DEEP TONE. "EACH to his OWN"
Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Is the LM really that bad on stock manifolds and cats??? I dont plan on ever running LT's or an ORY because I'm going back to california soon. The GMMG's cost is just insane to me, I'd rather spend all that money elsewhere....everyone complains about the LM's on LT's.....what about on a completely stock car??? If its really all that bad, maybe I will just go GMMG. LS1sounds.com doesnt really do much for me. I've heard GMMG clips that sound terrible/awesome and LM clips that sound terrible/awesome.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98Trans
I'm worried about the GMMG not being loud enough for my taste. I dont want my exhaust sounding crappy, but loud is my thing.
It is quiet at idle, but the more throttle you give it, the louder it gets. Sometimes, especially when it's cold, it's even too loud for me - and that's on stock manifolds and cats. You'd have to be a total noise freak to find it too quiet, I think.