Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help my moser 12 is leaking oil!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help my moser 12 is leaking oil!!!

ok guys, i just got my car back from the shop. i put about 140mi on the rear taking it easy, today i noticed a leak on the t/a cover, so i take it back to the shop and they re tighten the bolts, proplem fixed right??WRONG!!! so i decide to go to the local track and watch someraces, then i decide to do a run. i set my shift light to 4500 and i just gave it like 3/4 throttle and only got it up to 80mph. so i drive home and the rear starts whineing on the accel wich it never did before, only did it on decel. i get home and i look under and there is oil dripping from the cover!!! so what should i do??? drain the oil take the cover off and put on a new gasket(i dont even kno where to get one) put some high temp rtv on it and put the cover back on??? is there a specific way to tighten the bolts???(like a rim tighten them in a Z pattern)?? and to how many FT LB?? and how do i adjust the to bolts on the cover??? any help will be apprecited.. im not taking it back to the shop!! hell no!!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the cover off and check the surfaces of the cover and rearend for flatness with a straight edge. You can call Moser for the torque specs.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

any more suggestions??? im kinda pissed that i spent the money on the 12 bolt and its f*ckin leakin!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

I get a few drips as well. No big deal...just take the cover off, install a new gasket with red RTV, and torque the bolts to 5-10 ft-lbs.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MattZ28
I get a few drips as well. No big deal...just take the cover off, install a new gasket with red RTV, and torque the bolts to 5-10 ft-lbs.
which bolts??? the ones that hold it in place or the two on the cover it self??
and where do i get a new gasket from, with out having to order one, cant i just get one from the local parts store or autozone?? thanx guys i really needed some feedback.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:34 AM
11 Second Club

Yes you should be able to get it locally. Some people run just RTV without a gasket....so you can try that if you want, but Autozone should have the gasket.

I'm talking about the bolts on the rear cover.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

do you have the part number for the gasket i couldnt find it any where???
Old 01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
which bolts??? the ones that hold it in place or the two on the cover it self??
I think this uncertainty may be the cause of your leak. You need to know that the two central bolts support the carrier caps and that they require special attention. They must be loosened before the perimeter bolts are tightened. If this is not done the cover may be distorted and may not seal. The two center bolts should be tightened and locked only after the perimeter bolts are tightened. More importantly, if they are not tightened properly your rear may be damaged. If you don't know how to properly tighten the carrier cap load bolts it is best to leave them loose until you find help.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell them you need a diff cover gasket for a 70 Chevelle they should be able to find it. It's just a standard 12 bolt car axle type.

Remove the cover, install new gasket (give it a skim coat of RTV if desired), back off the 2 center bolts completely, torque the perimeter bolts to 25-30 ft-lb in a criss-cross pattern, then thread the center 2 bolts in by hand until you feel them touch the main caps inside the diff., snug them lightly with an allen wrench and tighten the outer lock nuts. I forget what the torque spec is on these but it's in IN-LBS, like 10-20, not much at all. now fill w/ fluid. u r done.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

thanx guys!! im a newbe to all this and your help is really appreciated

Quick Reply: help my moser 12 is leaking oil!!!