Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me build my setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my setup

Ok i have been thinking it over and i have decided the next thing i want to do is build an engine for boost(turbo) so what will i need for the engine to handle between 15-20 psi maybe a lil less but i figured if im going to do it i might as well go all the way. So an LS1 block im assuming unless an LS2 or the 6.0 works better again i have no parts as of now so im just trying to see what i need. Pistons,rods,Crank?? what type work the best for a boosted setup and can take what i throw at it, also keep in mind its a street stip car. second what cam, heads, springs, pushrods, lifters, valves and rockers should i go with. bigger injectors-how big what brand-fuelpump=walpro is what ive been hearing?what size- i also know its not going to get done in a day and i am not in a big hurry but im just going to do it one step at a time, starting by building my engine then picking out a turbo im wanting to keep my accesories such as A/C-power steering. I was thinking of an sts kit single turbo and a rear mount since i should be able to keep all the accesories with this kit so will an sts kit produce the boost i want? any help will be much appreciated
Old 01-07-2006, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,224 Likes on 780 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

How fast you looking to go?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

right now im putting down around 400rwhp and i want more than 500 after this plus around a 10 second car.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

whats the max power a stock 6L crank can take on boost
Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Joel@

Some good choices would be a 6.0l block and crank. Set of forged pistons (wiesco or diamond) set of forged rods(eagle or callies etc). ARP hardware all around (heads and mains). MLS heads gaskets. Good pair of lq9 heads(worked if you can afford it). Keep the Compression about 8.9.1 area. Set if patriot gold dual springs. If you want a stock cam that would work pretty good, then the ls2 cam for good driveablity, if not get a custom one. Comp hardened pushrods. Stock lifters if thier ok. Injectors will matter on how much power and what turbo setup you go with same goes with the fuel pump setup. If you go with a front mount turbo setup it will save you from buying headers.

With our single front mount it keeps all the acc up front including a/c. Just let us know if you need any help.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

personally if i were to build an engine for boost it would be as such. stock ls1 block (no one has found a real limit yet), stock ls1 crank (again peopl ehave made serious power with it), eagle 4340 h beam rods, diamond pistons (dish depends on which head you want to run), a set of ported stock 6.0 truck heads (you dont need much head flow, let the power adder of choice do its job), ls6 or 78mm FAST intake with a 78mm tb (again its boosted for a reason, you dont need a max effort NA motor here), with a very mild cam grind. arp head studs and rod bolts, double roller timing chain, stock size valves from ferrea valves, springs would be dependant upon lift of cam so choose accordingly. cometic head gaskets to top the shortblock off and that should be good enough.

*Editted because of wrong info. Sorry guys.

Last edited by 1bdbrd; 01-08-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
right now im putting down around 400rwhp and i want more than 500 after this plus around a 10 second car.
Check out this Camaro SS. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32
It is right in line with what you are looking to do. Bob
Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Check out this Camaro SS. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.co...tCar.php?car=32

I do believe this is along the lines of what im looking for, a couple of questions on the turbo, my rear bumber has a cutout for dual exhaust as all trans ams do, so could i run the single outlet from the turbo out one side and the other pipe coming off the turbo out the other side? Also the piping in the front does hang down pretty low so how hard was fabbing up that new piping? and can you explain a little more on the engine girdle does everything just bolt to it? and how streetable is this car?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Teching In

1bdbrd,
I saw in another post that you couldn't understand why guys weren't running 25psi with the GT42 on LS1s. Then they explained that the ammount of air that our engines use is more than the GT42 can provide and that boost has more to do with restriction than you think.
I'm not an expert and spend most my time lurking but I don't think your an expert either and you shouldn't be offering technical advice if your still learning the basics.

Here is a link to the post I'm referring to:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/433354-why-most-setups-not-run-their-full-potential.html
Old 01-08-2006, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd

a common problem i see on here is this. people build max effort style engines. no one lets the boost do its job. you dont need $3k heads or some ultra huge cam. you also dont need big cubes, in fact for a street driven car, stock is more than enough. and lastly you do not need some huge turbo either. IMO a gt42 or so is too big for most cars on here. its designed to push 40psi of boost. no ls1 on this site thats a street car can take that boost level. build a power adder setup by the same basic principle you would an NA motor. follow 2 rules, keep it simple, and match the parts appropriately. you should have much better manners, reliability and streetability that way.
Do you even understand how to read a compressor map? You are WAYY too hung up on PSI/boost, you need to look at air consumption/flow, and power.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,224 Likes on 780 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've gone 144mph with the stock crank, and Harlan went like 16_mph with the stock crank.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bens3rdgen
1bdbrd,
I saw in another post that you couldn't understand why guys weren't running 25psi with the GT42 on LS1s. Then they explained that the ammount of air that our engines use is more than the GT42 can provide and that boost has more to do with restriction than you think.
I'm not an expert and spend most my time lurking but I don't think your an expert either and you shouldn't be offering technical advice if your still learning the basics.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433354

AMEN

Your confusing people with WRONG info................................
Old 01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

well would the setup listed by exotic performance plus be a pretty good setup?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bens3rdgen
1bdbrd,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433354
if you wanna see, i went ahead and editted my above post. the reply in this thread was made before i made that other post and thats why i was completely incorrect with my information. im not trying to give out wrong infor or anything like that, but for some reason i completely forgot about engine air flow when i posted that. it was completely a brain fart on my end and im sorry about that. to that end i dont see why the rest of the above reply isnt true, but if it is i have no problem either editting it again or just completely deleting it.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The setup you are looking for can easilly be had.Just make sure you budget in fuel systems,cooling,driveline.

A forged 346 with decent heads,very small Cam and a T70 turbo will push you over 600rwhp easilly enough on pump gas
Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by 02_CETA_ws6
Check out this Camaro SS. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.co...tCar.php?car=32

I do believe this is along the lines of what im looking for, a couple of questions on the turbo, my rear bumber has a cutout for dual exhaust as all trans ams do, so could i run the single outlet from the turbo out one side and the other pipe coming off the turbo out the other side? Also the piping in the front does hang down pretty low so how hard was fabbing up that new piping? and can you explain a little more on the engine girdle does everything just bolt to it? and how streetable is this car?
People have fabbed up their own dual exhaust for the STS turbo, you could run two exhaust pipes.

The plumbing that we fabed up in the front just took a little bit of time to redo, not that hard.

The engine girdle requires tha ARP studs, but other than that everything bolts and mounts right up, just like it did prior to the girdle. Bob
Old 01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Man, you just need to buy my car for fun and keep the other stock, mine has everything you want it looks like and is well capable of 600rwhp after tuned.
Wolfee
Old 01-09-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome thats what im planning on doing is the same setup listed by exotic performance its going to be a long process or a hobby i guess and im not pulling anything out of the car until i have everything so im shooting for the end of this year maybe earlier or later.

Oh and WOLFEE man i dont need another car lol but thinks for the offer
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Suspended Sponsor

[QUOTE=02_CETA_ws6]
I do believe this is along the lines of what im looking for, a couple of questions on the turbo, my rear bumber has a cutout for dual exhaust as all trans ams do, so could i run the single outlet from the turbo out one side and the other pipe coming off the turbo out the other side? Also the piping in the front does hang down pretty low so how hard was fabbing up that new piping? QUOTE]

With our single kit you still retain your existing catback exhaust and would have to do no fabbing of an extra tailpipe. We also keep all P/S, and A/C. using a front mount setup and our kit comes complete, minus fuel upgrades, for the same price as the STS.
If there is anything else we can do to help feel free to give us a call at 866-899-4948.

-Leo

Quick Reply: Help me build my setup