Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would like FI...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would like FI...

I want to be making over 600rwhp possibly on a streetable setup, but the only problem is everything is SO expensive! How do you guys do it? Is there a company out there that will let me order the parts and somehow get on a payment plan of somesort? I would like FI now and not 2 years from now by the time i have all the money saved up. What are my options?!
Old 01-11-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

credit card, second mortgage, sell a kidney
Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta pay to play, my credit card has come in handy and I'm practically stock lol.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or all three if necessary. lol
Old 01-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Ah well I guess i could go credit..But there has to be someone out there who finances their parts and does some sort of payment type thing. There just has to be!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by motorcycleMatt
I want to be making over 600rwhp possibly on a streetable setup, but the only problem is everything is SO expensive! How do you guys do it? Is there a company out there that will let me order the parts and somehow get on a payment plan of somesort? I would like FI now and not 2 years from now by the time i have all the money saved up. What are my options?!
Start out safe and slow if you must......Obviously you'll have to dish out the initial cost which will be a the FI kit and fuel system.....With low boost and low HP #s you can survive for a while....At least in my opinion, but I don't have an FI kit so take it FWIW
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

second job!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
chronic masturbator

I dont recommend the credit card method what happens if you spend 10k on a setup and then all the sudden you run into a major problem (which ALWAYS happens with f.i. cars) how will you pay to fix it? all i can say is save and get a 2nd job its the only way to do it fast and without money probs. boost is very addictive so even if you say I will play it safe and on run 5 psi you will turn it up to 8 psi etc etc

later
Gary
Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dynedta
I dont recommend the credit card method what happens if you spend 10k on a setup and then all the sudden you run into a major problem (which ALWAYS happens with f.i. cars) how will you pay to fix it? all i can say is save and get a 2nd job its the only way to do it fast and without money probs. boost is very addictive so even if you say I will play it safe and on run 5 psi you will turn it up to 8 psi etc etc

later
Gary
I agree, if you can't pay don't play. And it seems everything cost a lot more than what you first expect. So double your budget.
G/L...
C
Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, from what I can input from my own experience, you need to make goals that are attainable with your current budget. "Most" of us work full time, go to school, and are considered to be "average" income. If you want to build a "complete" FI car on an average budget, it WILL NOT happen overnight. Ask around here, people start small with exhaust, then move onto a cam. I personally have been buying FI parts for a few months now with a goal of spring 2007 to be turbocharged. First I am doing the motor, rear, then fabricating my truck mani kit. Some people I have talked to have been building their cars for 3, 4, even 5 years to get it where it is today.

Another problem is the cost of labor. If you like wrenching on your own car, and have the tools and knowledge to do so, that alone will save you TONS of cash. An average of $60-70 per hour at a shop addds up quick.

What I recommend, is SEARCH, do RESEARCH, and take your time. Do things right the first time. Ls1Tech has MORE than enough information for you to get an idea of what needs to be done, which companies offer the quality parts, and mistakes people have made so others do not.

Think things through and you will be fine.

Good luck
Andy
Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by motorcycleMatt
Ah well I guess i could go credit..But there has to be someone out there who finances their parts and does some sort of payment type thing. There just has to be!
Yeah theres a place called MatserCard and I think Visa will finance their parts......
Old 01-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
credit card, second mortgage, sell a kidney

That’s what I did, but I don’t recommend it. (all but sell my kidney… but I would have)
Old 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I been saving and buying stuff since March 05 and not done yet.I figure itll be a full year since then when im finally done.My feeling is if you cant pay cash dont pay at all,the interest on cc is rediculous,so any deal you thought u were getting went out the window after the first month.If something goes on the card it gets payed off that month.Plus people are more receptive to working out a deal if you have cash in hand.It takes time and money...and im most cases even if you have the money it still takes longer than expected no matter how much your gonna pay.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm somewhat new to the forced induction scene as well. I had never considered forced induction before, but a club member was selling a used Vortech head unit cheap (I figured I could either install it or resell it and make some money on it) but I figured I'm only young once and I work so I have money so I can have nice things...so why not. I bought the kit from him and got the rest of the kit from Vortech.

At first I thought I would be able to save some money and do the install with the help of a friend, but after reading up, I realized I was in over my head mechanically and time wise and I didn't want to take the cheap way out and pay for it later. So I had Eastside in CT do the install and tune for me. Injectors, fuel pump and plugs were done at the same time. That was back in July/August of 2005. I'm now thinking of adding the aftercooler and probably over the summer have the internals worked. I'd like to have more boost but I want to do it when I know the engine can handle it. I'm taking the better safe than sorry approach with it.

Take small steps, I think the majority of us here are just your average joe who have some money to spend but not the type of guys to just blow it all at once.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

man whoring
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS 414
I'm somewhat new to the forced induction scene as well. I had never considered forced induction before, but a club member was selling a used Vortech head unit cheap (I figured I could either install it or resell it and make some money on it) but I figured I'm only young once and I work so I have money so I can have nice things...so why not. I bought the kit from him and got the rest of the kit from Vortech.

At first I thought I would be able to save some money and do the install with the help of a friend, but after reading up, I realized I was in over my head mechanically and time wise and I didn't want to take the cheap way out and pay for it later. So I had Eastside in CT do the install and tune for me. Injectors, fuel pump and plugs were done at the same time. That was back in July/August of 2005. I'm now thinking of adding the aftercooler and probably over the summer have the internals worked. I'd like to have more boost but I want to do it when I know the engine can handle it. I'm taking the better safe than sorry approach with it.

Take small steps, I think the majority of us here are just your average joe who have some money to spend but not the type of guys to just blow it all at once.
if you dont mind me asking how much did you spend on all that getting installed ?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Earl H
man whoring
on the weekends im a Gigolo to pay for parts!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you are done you are looking at $20,000.00. Thats for engine, suspension, tranny, diff, etc. You must be committed to the project.