Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Headers Question

I a few months ago ran my car open headers and loved how loud it was. But by the end of the night the car ran like ****, couldn't hold idle and drove like crap. I read in a thread on here that if i disconnected my O2s on the collecter that my car will be able to run alot better than if i ran with the O2s hooked up. Can i **** my car up running it like, and if its driveable is it even driveable that it will perform good at WOT. I would go get a set of 12" pipes done to put them in place but i don't have the time tomorrow to go do it. Going a on a small cruise with a couple of Lightnings and wanted to ride out open headers Any info would be great thanks alot.
-Joel
Old 01-14-2006, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

You can do that but only for short periods. I would be carefull because you are looking at burning your valves and possibly worse.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Damn thanks for telling me that. Thanks alot, Ancient.
-Joel
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AncientRgn
You can do that but only for short periods. I would be carefull because you are looking at burning your valves and possibly worse.
You won't burn up your valves. This has been argued many times on here. People's arguement is that cool air hits the hot valves when you turn the car off and "burns up the valves." Do a search on it and you will find the post i am talkin about. Your car was running like **** b/c of the massive amounts of air hitting the 02 sensor while you are driving. My car did the same thing when i did a clutch swap and header install at the same time and just wanted to see if everything worked. I dont know that unhooking your 02s will solve anything. I honestly dont think it will run at all w/o them. If you want to run open headers put some sort of extension pipe on them. Hope this helped!

Brent
Old 01-14-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

You can run open headers without O2's on a stock cam. The factory uses a volumetic efficiency table that replaces the functions of a carburator. As long as you don't have extensive modifications, it is accurate enough to calculate your fueling. Remember, O2's give feedback for fueling corrections at part throttle only. When you floor it, the car ignores the O2's all together. So, removing them won't hurt any. You might see a slight loss in your MPG's. But, that's about it. Check around the PCM tuning section and you'll find some threads backing this up.