Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

8.1 bbc???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.1 bbc???

Hey all, I recently put a 2003 8.1 in my 83 K30 truck. I used the donar harness and can get it to fire and run for a second, then it dies, (looses pulse at injector)??? This reminds me of my buddys 6.0 swap in his K5 (Ryan B), He had the exact same issue with his swap and had to have the vats flashed out. I thought by using the entire harness I would avoid Vats issues, but somehow Im not friends with the vats module or somthin The fly by wire works, got 55psi at the rail, relays are clicking when I turn the key on??? Is there an answer????? Pissed??
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you'd get better response putting this in the conversion section. But maybe you still need the VATS key? Yes u have teh whole harness but do you have anything telling the VATS system that u are the owner? You know how all the new cars use chipped keys.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think if the vats wasnt correct it wouldnt even run for a second. Not sure about that motor, but i had the exact same problem on my motor and it ended up being the ignition module inside the distributor. Did you splice a resistor in the vats wiring? How did you try and bypass this?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Teching In

The New Trucks Do Not Use A Vats Key But Rather A Timed Sequence Sensor Located At The Ignition Switch It Needs To Rotate At The Same Time/speed As The Ignition Switch. Or It Will Cut Off Fuel Supply . You Will Have To Get The Theft Lock Code Removed From The Ecm