Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn me on 85mm MAFs (search is useless)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Learn me on 85mm MAFs (search is useless)

Since search is down, and being that I learn eveything through searches, I need some info on 85mm mafs. I'm planning on going to a 90mm intake & tb, and I'm not sure which maf to go with. From what I read, there's a few companies that offer them in the calibrated and uncalibrated versions. What's the difference between these? What's seen as the best 85mm maf out right now? I see something about an IAT relocation and would like clarification on that too. Anything that would help is appriciated.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from pace performance. They use a delphi maf. Calebrated means it is made for the f-body, uncalibrated means its a take off Z06 maf. The maf has plug in it for the IAT harness, so you are getting a reading directly at the MAF.

*non-sponsor link removed.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 01-27-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I also got mine from Pace and haven't had any issues with it. My suggestion with playing with MAFs is always to not just bolt it in and forget about it. That can cause issues depending on how it gets along with the stock tune. I say bolt it in when you're ready to get a custom tune done, and then you should realize the benefits.

Most people say leave the MAF alone, the stocker is good for 500whp, yadda yadda. But you can't tell me that increasing the diameter of a tube in the intake, and removing a screen that provides some restriction, won't free up airflow and make a few more ponies, so long as the tune doesn't get wrecked.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help.

I've had my stock MAF descreened for probably 5 years now and I haven't had any issues with the MAF itself what so ever, but now that I'm going the 90/90 route I figured I could upgrade to the 85mm. I have tuning right now so hopefully it would be just plug and play without any issues. But since I do have tuning, I was trying to figure out if I should go the calibrated or uncalibrated route.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you won't tune then you'd need "calibrated" ones but
the quality of said "calibration" (a common 5% resistor
soldered on) has to be suspect. Best is to get a straight
Delphi piece and a table to match, into the tune. Since
GM used the tables to fudge a little about inlet tract
effects, you may have to try more than one to get all
the way to happy. I favor the '02 6-liter truck tables
and a descreened truck MAF off eBay, myself.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS666
I got mine from pace performance. They use a delphi maf. Calebrated means it is made for the f-body, uncalibrated means its a take off Z06 maf. The maf has plug in it for the IAT harness, so you are getting a reading directly at the MAF.

*non-sponsor link removed.
You can pick the same meter up from GM for ~$125 brand new and the harness from Casper Electronics for $30.

Or even cheaper, you can buy of the truck meters off eBay and the harness from Casper Electronics >>-->

The truck meter's GM P/N: 25318411
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

The IAT deal boils down to where you want to run the IAT sensor.

The SLP harness converts the 5 wire ZO6/Truck MAF to a 3 wire that still uses your stock IAT in the lid. Leaving the IAT in the meter dead.

The Casper Electronics (what Pace sells) harness converts the 5 wire into a two plug arrangement that allows you to use the IAT that's built into the 85mm Maf's. Eliminating the need to use the IAT sensor in the lid.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 85mm Granatelli maf. Run it one full summer with no issues.