Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheels/tires for 500+RWHP daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheels/tires for 500+RWHP daily driver?

Okay, I know you're out there...

This question is for those of you out there with 500+RWHP daily drivers. I’m not talking about you weekend warriors running non-legal slicks and skinnys… I mean a car driven back and forth to work 10+ miles every single day. One you can get into and drive hundreds of miles cross country with no modification.

First, give a brief description of your car, mods, and power level, and what wheel and tire combo are you running.

On a scale of 1-10, how streetable are your wheels/tires with your power level?

(1 being “completely unsuited for daily driving; can’t take a corner at more than 25mph, but I’m crazy so I do it anyway” and 10 being “better than stock; perfectly planted with no worries at all about losing control”)

On a scale of 1-10, how “trackable” are your wheels/tires with your power level?

(1 being “just spins and spins down the whole ¼ mile” and 10 being dead, solid planted with < 1.5 60 ft’s)

Finally, how is your treadwear? (excluding premature wear from smoky burnouts, of course) Can you get a few years out of a set of tires, or do you have to own stock in a rubber company? I.E. what is the average life expectancy of a set of tires on your setup?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 427 SS is 535rwhp and I have Fikse FM5's 17 x 9-1/2 fronts with 275/40/17 and 17 x 11 rears with 315/35/17 KD's again.

They handle badass, one of the better handling tires, they don't last long with a 200 tread wear, but they will go a ways. I got 15k miles out of a set.

Traction wise they are great (handling), for straight line they are "ok." For the rain they are fine as well, not the best but again "ok."

So..."how streetable" are they, that would be a 10. The rain, just drive a little slower.

For the track, sure a road course but not a drag strip.

What do you want, and drag wheel set-up or a street set-up? Best thing to have is drag wheels for the track, and street wheels to get around during the week (I'm sure you know this already).

Hope this helps,
Craig.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAGER
For the track, sure a road course but not a drag strip.

What do you want, and drag wheel set-up or a street set-up? Best thing to have is drag wheels for the track, and street wheels to get around during the week (I'm sure you know this already).

Hope this helps,
Craig.
Thanks Craig that does indeed help. As you guessed, I am looking for quarter mile track #’s, but it still helps to have your info. Have you ever run this setup in the 1/4 mile? If so, what kind of 60 ft's did you pull with it?

Also, for your "10" in the "streetable" category, in dry weather, do you ever have traction problems if you get into the gas a little? Do you pretty much have to constantly be vigilant or else risk going sideways, or does it stay under control unless you really let loose and step on it?

As for the rain, yeah I agree "just drive a little slower." It's downright stupid to do anything else with 500+RWHP in the rain, regardless of tire. With my question, I'm talking dry traction.

Of course I know that pure drag tires will get you the best results at the track, no question (and by a wide margin, at that!). But those can't be run daily, at least not for most folks (the most hardcore of those isn’t even street legal).

The question is, what kind of setups can be run daily and what do those kind of setups do at the track? Does anything even remotely streetable have a prayer of getting traction and vice versa?

I figure the best way to answer that is to ask what is everyone running and how does it do at each?

So let’s keep ‘em coming!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by black_knight
Thanks Craig that does indeed help. As you guessed, I am looking for quarter mile track #’s, but it still helps to have your info. Have you ever run this setup in the 1/4 mile? If so, what kind of 60 ft's did you pull with it?

Also, for your "10" in the "streetable" category, in dry weather, do you ever have traction problems if you get into the gas a little? Do you pretty much have to constantly be vigilant or else risk going sideways, or does it stay under control unless you really let loose and step on it?

As for the rain, yeah I agree "just drive a little slower." It's downright stupid to do anything else with 500+RWHP in the rain, regardless of tire. With my question, I'm talking dry traction.

Of course I know that pure drag tires will get you the best results at the track, no question (and by a wide margin, at that!). But those can't be run daily, at least not for most folks (the most hardcore of those isn’t even street legal).

The question is, what kind of setups can be run daily and what do those kind of setups do at the track? Does anything even remotely streetable have a prayer of getting traction and vice versa?

I figure the best way to answer that is to ask what is everyone running and how does it do at each?

So let’s keep ‘em coming!
No times with my 427, I kind of gave up on drag racing. My car has always been more for handling, more so since I ditched my BMR k-member and went back to stock.

The KD's will hook really good for the power. If I lay into it, sure I'll spin. It all depends on the road and the temp outside. I've raced a buddies Viper and didn't get traction until mid 4th gear, but that road was like glass. Then on other roads its alot better, just have to wait unil mid 2nd gear for traction, good scratch in 3rd and 4th was fine.
With KD's the car will not just step out if you just give it a little gas, only if you are trying to go WOT.

For a street tire, not trying to drag race at all, the KD's are very badass. Hell KDW's might be good as well.
Just need a soft tire if you want to grip, but they don't last long.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome, Craig. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Bump!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Bump, since I am sure there is more than one person on this board running 500+RWHP on a daily driver....
Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Teching In

not quite 500 but 462 run falken 451 275-40-18 they do great in all weather
Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I more meant the big cube setups that have massive, uncontrollable torque...

But, hey, it's all good. Let's hear about your setup. What kind of 60ft's and times do you get with those tires? How "trackable" are they? What kind of treadwear? What other tires, if any, have you tried and how do they compare?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Teching In

I have a 67 Camaro with a 432 Big block, .656 lift, 252/258 duration solid roller putting out about 650hp. It is my daily driver when the weather is nice. I run BFG G-Force T/A KD front and rear. 245/45 on 17 x 8.5 front and 275/40 on 17 x 9.5 rear. Considering this thing puts out 600 ft. lbs of torque, these tires hook up awesome when you get a little heat in them. They are some of the best handling tires I have had also. I run tubular control arms and coil overs upfront and custom fiberglass mono-leaf springs with caltracs in the rear (double adjustable QA1s) so I do throw this thing into turns.... HARD.... I have raced my brothers C6 Z51 vette from a dig and pulled 2 cars right off the line. Those things are capable of 0-60 in 4.1 sec stock. I would say thats pretty good for a street race...

Last edited by 67rs427; 02-10-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67rs427
I have a 67 Camaro with a 432 Big block, .656 lift, 252/258 duration solid roller putting out about 650hp. It is my daily driver when the weather is nice. I run BFG G-Force T/A KD front and rear. 245/45 on 17 x 8.5 front and 275/40 on 17 x 9.5 rear.
Nice!

Have you ran that setup at the drag strip?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I have not been to the track with my new tires/wheels yet. I got kicked off of the track last time because I dony have a cage or any other safety equipment.... Before I ran a 10.87 on crappy worn out Micky T Indy Profiles (only 1 run was allowed)... For another reference, I raced my buddies bike which is a 900 CBR (I think its a CBR... It has an all aluminum frame and is lowered for dragracing....) I think it runs 9.9s stock..... He obviously has the gears on me, but we raced from a stop in our work parking lot upto about 75mph.... On initial launch, I pulled a 1/4 car length on him, and he immidietly passed me but NEVER pulled more than a bike and a half on me all the way up to 65 mph or so.... keep in mind I was somewhat easy on the throttle so I wouldnt blow off the tires, and he never spun one bit.... Once the weather gets nice here in michigan, I will be racing him again and will record it on video.... (I have made some minor changes that should net me a low 10.3x on those same street tires...)

Last edited by 67rs427; 02-10-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Cool. Here's some follow-up questions:

What's your car weigh, and what is your suspension set up to do? (i.e. is it a dedicated drag setup that can't take a turn? Sorry if that question is simplistic, but I don't know suspensions from a hole in the ground)
Old 02-12-2006, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

just do a set of 315 nitto d/r or bfg d/r and you'll be fine. That is pretty much the best you are going to hope for on a streetable tire that will last more than 5k miles. If you are planning on racing on any tires they just aren't going to last.

I had 315 nittos on my FM5 and they hooked up fine. I put down 443rwhp. Sure they spin if you hammer them in the first few gears, but no tire, short of a slick will hold that kind of power to the ground without breaking loose.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Cool. Here's some follow-up questions:

What's your car weigh, and what is your suspension set up to do? (i.e. is it a dedicated drag setup that can't take a turn? Sorry if that question is simplistic, but I don't know suspensions from a hole in the ground)
My car weighs 3325 with me in it and a half tank of gas. Mine is totally set up for street, but a few shock tweaks and a little pre-load on my cal-tracs, and this thing can cut less than 1.63 60 ft. times at the track... (and thats on street tires.....) and for everyone else... Yes you can put some huge 315s on the car and put spacers to make it look goofy.... I chose the not chop up my clean wheelwells, and put 275s on.... They are still 10+ inches wide. When I tear the car apart again and build my tube frame chassis, then goes on the 17" X 13" wheels and phatty tires to match...
Old 02-12-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

I have over 500 NA on my 408. I drive on QTP's. In the rain you may as well hang it up. BUt in the good weather there is nothing better. I run skinnies on the front though. It would be nothing to go buy myself another pair of 15" welds draglites for the front. But when I put a regular wheel and tire on the front, It hadnles the curves very nicely at full air preasure. I opted for the 15" welds because those tires are affordable and I dont hurt my wallets feelings having fun on them. Ti looks sick to. Ithink a good Weld wheel makes our cars look like something you dont want to **** with. I have Nitto's in the garage. I will blow them off with barely any pedal. Good luck man. My QTP's are 26".
Old 02-16-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top
Old 02-16-2006, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome info so far guys. Keep it coming!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

whats up man i have z28 comaro with a 408 in it and it makes 515 wheel hp im currently running factory crome z06 wheels with nitto 555r on the back 305-35-18 and my car is an m6 for the power my car makes these tires hook up well. its got nothing out of first still spinning in second but it hooks in third. if i heat um up they hook alot better not great but its the best drag radial i personally have tried so far. i agree with the guy above just put some sort of drag radial with a tall side wall on your car and call it a day
Old 02-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Launching!

Okay, I know you're out there...

This question is for those of you out there with 500+RWHP daily drivers. I’m not talking about you weekend warriors running non-legal slicks and skinnys… I mean a car driven back and forth to work 10+ miles every single day. One you can get into and drive hundreds of miles cross country with no modification.

First, give a brief description of your car, mods, and power level, and what wheel and tire combo are you running.

On a scale of 1-10, how streetable are your wheels/tires with your power level?

(1 being “completely unsuited for daily driving; can’t take a corner at more than 25mph, but I’m crazy so I do it anyway” and 10 being “better than stock; perfectly planted with no worries at all about losing control”)

On a scale of 1-10, how “trackable” are your wheels/tires with your power level?

(1 being “just spins and spins down the whole ¼ mile” and 10 being dead, solid planted with < 1.5 60 ft’s)

Finally, how is your treadwear? (excluding premature wear from smoky burnouts, of course) Can you get a few years out of a set of tires, or do you have to own stock in a rubber company? I.E. what is the average life expectancy of a set of tires on your setup?
Unless you plan on roasting the hydes off that thing for all 10 miles, RWHP shouldn't be relevant should it? Life expectancy? I'd be willing to guess, just about everyone on this board can cut the manufacturer's tread life 'estimates' in half regardless of what's indicated in the tire brochure. Look for a tire that fits your driving habits and road conditions. If you can't leave the light without going sideways, do a DR and buy a bunch of them. If you're looking for moderate traction on occassional 'spirited' and excellant all around performance, I wouldn't look past BFs or Pilots.