Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Torque Converter finally gave up the ghost

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Converter finally gave up the ghost

Thanks to Ellis and Don for helping me yank the Yank.

On my way to work yesterday I kept feeling the tranny locking up and letting go then locking up and letting go while I was on a strait stretch of road doing a constant speed. I was having the Borla installed this week anyway so I called Ellis and asked if he wanted to check out that transmission too just in case I was loosing my mind.

He came out this morning and test drove it and the car actually had me scared a couple of times. It hit 4 grand and was barely moving, sometimes in places when you want it to get going quickly. So Ellis took the car to Don's and on the way it gave up the ghost. It would seem that AAA is a good thing to have when you are a mechanic.

Long story short it would seem that I will be without my car for a couple of weeks while we wait for Yank to rebuild the converter.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

So sorry. A couple of weeks is a long time to wait. I'd let you borrow my red car but it is up on jack stands. Again!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

She's funny.....NOT! Sorry man. THat's what you get for having so much hp.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

She is funny..............

I'm sorry about that! At least you car is in good hands. My car has been at the body shop for 5 weeks. If I don't get it back tommorrow, I'm gonna go in there and roll some heads.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I sent off the TC to Yank today. It only cost me 22 bucks for the shipping down there and they should have it by Tuesday. I was shocked. With a box that big and heavy I was expecting a butt load more. Hopefully they will get it rebuilt and back in a hurry. I miss my car already. I never really realized how much I take that power for granted in a daily driver. Not that the car that I am using right now is bad, it has it's advantages over the T/A for a daily, but I sware I must have seen 15 mustangs on the way to work today that all needed to have their asses handed to them. On the other hand they were patrolling 520 rather heavily through Redmond this morning and if I had the T/A I am sure I would have been zapped ... 'course I have the V1 in the Trans Am so maybe not, but people were sure going fast until they saw those 3 motorcycle cops (1 was busy, 1 was waiting, and 1 was shooting radar).
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

My converter is at Yank for rebuilding. I was freaking out this morning when I checked the tracking info and they said no one signed for it and it would be delivered again tomorrow. But when I checked back later in the day they had marked it delivered. Whew! Almost had a cardiac arrest over that.

Thanks much to Ellis for the use of his Baby Bimmer while my own baby is resting at Don's. I had to play executor today and was running around like a chicken with my head cut off to doctor's offices, safe deposit boxes, post offices, lawyer's offices, and just about everything in between. I hate this probate crap!! I need a beer.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

As it turns out Yank can't/won't rebuild it. They said they did not have the parts for one that old in stock. (WTF!?!?!?)

So $700 later I bought a new one and now if ANYTHING goes wrong with it I will send it back to them in little itty bitty pieces and make them refund my money AND rebuild it. Ba$tard$! They did not even cut me a discount for my old core. You know all they are going to do is gut it and use it for a new one. Probably even use it for the one they just sold me as brand new.

Shipping on it was $50 so I hope they are going to overnight it for that price considering it only cost me $22 to ship mine to them half full of fluid and metal flakes.

Oh well. At least I got some money out of my sister to help pay for the parts I need to get my car up and running again. For those who don't know my sister has been sitting on my mom's IRA money and when my mom died my sister, instead of splitting the money and paying mom's bills, has been hoarding it for herself. Yes, this is the same sister that talked me out of going to the superbowl.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

They finally decided to ship the converter to me today. I bought a new one at 7:30am our time yesterday (Thursday) and they just sent me the UPS tracking info (Friday afternoon). Normally I would not be shocked by the lag time but I talked to Dave at Yank on Wednesday afternoon and he said if I bought a new one they would have it in the mail first thing in the morning. That would have been yesterday. Shipping is costing me $50 for standard ground so I know they are pocketing at least $25 and my old core.

Am I happy? Not really. I understand no one can diagnose a problem over the phone or know what the cost of replacement is really going to be until they tare into it. But I know Yank just made a gaggle of coin on this deal. I feel screwed and I did not even have to go to Capital Hill (Seattle's gay neighborhood for those who don't know).

Last edited by howierd42; 02-11-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Just got an email back from Yank this morning. Here is what they said:
Howard your order did not come through to me from paypal until late
Thursday there was a mix-up in the e-mail sorry about that and it was to
late for ups then. The 50.00 dollars is not for freight only there is a
15.00 core fee built into that. This is charged on every order. Your old
converter is not a good core it is scrap iron only and was discarded as
that when you said to scrap it.

Best Regards
Dave Myers
Yank Performance Mfg.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by howierd42
Just got an email back from Yank this morning. Here is what they said:

Boy what a Joke...they are not making themselves look good...I bet they are going to rebuild your converter and sell it to someone else....they gotta make money somehow....
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
Boy what a Joke...they are not making themselves look good...I bet they are going to rebuild your converter and sell it to someone else....they gotta make money somehow....
No kidding - you know they are going to rebuild his old one and resell it. Plus I don't recall Howeird specifically telling them they could keep the old core to do with what they wanted. If he thinks its 'scrap' then let him scrap it.
Originally Posted by howierd42
As it turns out Yank can't/won't rebuild it. They said they did not have the parts for one that old in stock. (WTF!?!?!?)
Sounds like a forced "we are keeping it" and not an agreement for Yank to keep the core.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

New torque converter is in. It performs A LOT different. I can't believe how much better it hooks. Ellis put a ton of work into the transmission and it is performing like a dream now too. Shifts are good and smooth at normal driving and, well, when you drive the car like it was meant to be driven it seems to be a bit more aggressive.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn after reading this the Fuddle is looking alot better, maybe I'll just go with a Vig it did great in my LT1....although when its all said and done I'll probably just swap in a 6 speed.

Howard glad to hear your back up and running. Your nicier than I would be no way would Yank get anymore of my money I don't care how nice thier product is. I understand charging you to rebuild, its a racing part but its not like your running 700rwhp how is the old one scrap metal? If they don't have the parts for it thats not your problem.....oh wait I guess it is....

Quick Reply: Torque Converter finally gave up the ghost