General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator Water Disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Water Disappearing

The water in my radiator keeps disappearing. Everytime after I drive it then let it sit I have to add water, usually about 1 gatorade bottle size (believe 1qt). Water was originally mixing with oil so I replaced my head gasket and fixed that problem however the water is still going somewhere. There is never any wet spot on the ground anywhere I park so I do not believe there is a leak anywhere. I also replaced the radiator cap to ensure it wasn't leaking out there. I don't have any ideas and could really use some help. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs down

I am having a similiar issue. Passenger side had gasket was leaking changed them both about 3 weeks ago. Also fixed resivour under battery. New cap and new resivour cap. Seem to be losing a little bit of collant. Pressure tested the system time and time again with no luck. My last attempt will be to replace the radiator since it is the only thing that is original.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may not be a gasket problem, you may have a warped head. one of my friends had a set of heads ported and when the machine shop was doing a valve job, they checked the heads and they were warped and had to be milled to straighten them out. he had to change cams and everything. good thing was, i got the cam that came out of his car!! (in sig)
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

My heads are only a year old. Chances are there good. The orginal head gaskets were only sepping on the passenger side. That is what promted me to change them both. Plus not being heat cycled when first installed didnt help matters. But now with the new ones on I am sure I am not losing any in the heads. Also before I was having a problem blowing collant out my overflow. Being from the head gasket being bad and the pressure backing through the system and pushing water out. That problem is gone now. Only noticing that I am having to add water once a week. Sometimes more. I am at a loss. It has to be going somewhere. Have had the car on a lift many times with no a drop anywhere. It will show up eventually or I will just keep adding water.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

Definately do an oil change

Make sure its not going in your oil!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Not one drop in oil. This problem has been there for a while probally 1year. It has to be a leak some where that we just cant find. I am amlost thinking of changing my radiator. Thinking that maybe its seeping.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

My heads are only about a year old also so I'm pretty sure they are fine as well. I wish I could say I was adding water only once a week. I have to add after every drive. I would change the radiator if I saw a leak but I don't. I don't know where else it can be going. I just had the head gasket changed, transmission cleaned out, oil gasket changed radiator flush, transmisson fluid change and oil change. What's killing me is with how much water I'm loosing I should be seeing where it is going.

Quick Reply: Radiator Water Disappearing