General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A few Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Problems

My car has a few odd problems( I think they are problems but some people say it's normal). WHen I dotn drive the car for a while, I have to rev it to start it. I also gotta keep revving it so it doesn't stall. I usually jsut get into drive and after about a minute it will not stall out. If I drive it alot during the day, it tends to start normal. When I go to work, i will have to do the rev stuff all over( Pretty bad when all these people think your just some punk *** kid trying to show off, yet your just keeping your car from stalling).
Also, When I get to and above 50 MPH in Drive, I feel alot of pressure in the exhaust then hear a backfire( when it gets under 50 mph) and it seems to go back to normal noise. In Overdrive, at or above 50 the car sounds alot quieter, seems lieka differnet noise. Maybe sputtering.
I have some gauges( came with the car). One is Air/FueL Ratio. It always show sthat Im burning lean but Im not sure how reliable it is as my RPM gauge works, then it will just say 00 RPM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

possibly a bad cat convertor
Old 02-07-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AFR gauge isn't going to help you unless it is a wideband. If is goes back and forth it is very normal.

The exhaust is a good thing to look into if you are really lacking power. If you can see that the cat is obviously way too hot from under the car after starting you found the problem!

If you suspect that the previous guy did a bad tune on it (since a AFR gauge is installed) having it retuned might help you out. It looks like you have some mods in your sig.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

the starting issue i could see as an normal thing...depending on the cam that was chosen. i know on my 70 chevy truck it has a hard time starting and staying idle after the cam was installed and it was just a small RV cam that i got at work. could be the same thing.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks. TYhe person who had the car before took off the cat.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Launching!

a hot cat should not cause a hard start condition. u may have a leaky injector. get a fuel pressure guage and hook it up. start the car up rev it a few times then let it idle for a minute. turn off the car, note what the fuel pressure is and walk away. come back in a half hour to an hour. if the pressure has dropped, theres ur problem.