Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Power!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need Power!!!!

What I have: 2002 Trans Am WS6, 3' Catback Borla exhuast, SLP intake lid, Granatelli mass air flow sensor.

What I want to do: Fast LSX intake, Bigger throttle body, headers,y-pipe, high flow cats.

The Situation: Been thinking about supercharging but deciding to hold off due to money and seeing my friend blow his motor (haha).
So what can I do for lots and lots and lots of more power? I'd like to get parts that will not need to be removed or replaced when the day comes for supercharging. I know you all have some sick rides....So give me some secrets and suggestions. Warm days are nearing.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Exhaust first, Then heads and a cam.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Headers are probably your best bang for the buck based on your list
Old 02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost My License
What I have: 2002 Trans Am WS6, 3' Catback Borla exhuast, SLP intake lid, Granatelli mass air flow sensor.

What I want to do: Fast LSX intake, Bigger throttle body, headers,y-pipe, high flow cats.

The Situation: Been thinking about supercharging but deciding to hold off due to money and seeing my friend blow his motor (haha).
So what can I do for lots and lots and lots of more power? I'd like to get parts that will not need to be removed or replaced when the day comes for supercharging. I know you all have some sick rides....So give me some secrets and suggestions. Warm days are nearing.
As you have an 02 model year you have the LS6 style intake manifold, so save your money and don't get the LSx yet. And just port your TB yourself or can be done for $75.

It's true a 90/90 setup will produce more power, but it'll also cost a 4 figure number, this money can be better spent else where.

First off are you auto or manual?

If auto get a new stall, maybe something like a Yank PY3400.

Final drive ratio will also make the car much more livley. 4.10 is popular for manual cars and 3.73 for auto's. This won't produce any power but it will feel like it does The only snag is, you will one day break your 10 bolt axle and then upgrade to a 12 bolt or a 9" which will sadly make the replacement gears redundant. This is either something you accept or you save for a new axle before doing the gears.

For more power, get some LT headers (lots of good makes, Pacesetters are worth a look if on a budget), plus a new Y pipe. TSP offer a catted Y along with ORY (off road Y) and do deal kits with Pacesetter headers.

Then get yourself a nice cam kit, about $1500 all in so this is where that money you saved from the LSx manifold can be spent. Don't go too wild with the cam if it's your daily driver, but a 224/224 is probably a good starting off point. Thunder Racing have some nice cams and complete install kits.

If you plan on track use then some sticky tyres such as DR's will help ET's but your stock 10 bolt won't be too keen on them.

With the mods you have and the ones above with a good tune 380-410rwhp is perfectly doable depending on what cam you go for.

After that you really want to look at suspension mods, then it's onto supercharging
Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

Your 2002 manifolds are the equivalent to shorty headers. You can put in a cam 224 on a 114 to be smooth or o a 112 to make it lopey and a lil' aggressive sounding. I had a 220/224 cam with my stock manifolds and it was great... for about 3 months till I wanted more. I'd say I gained 25-30 hp with that cam. You can feel that kind of difference.

you can buy the cam used on this board, push rods and valvesprings, gaskets from gm and some tools for the job for $500 total.

If you live near Atlanta I can do it in one afternoon and it'll be cheap labor. I've done several cams and I have it down to about 7 hours for the job. -Joshua