Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Intake manifold question.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake manifold question.........

I just picked up the LS6 intake and its got oil all underneath and even inside the intake. When I pick up the intake and tilt it a little, oil will drip out of it..............

Is this normal?

Should I clean it out? If so, how do I clean it?

On another note, I got the car cleaned up and the drag radials are on and ready for Sunday. I think there is going to be quite a few people out there. That should be a good time. I'm really looking forward to Sunday. Now lets hope we can get close to the times we have been working for!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Yessir, oil in the instake is quite normal for our cars. That is why you see people with catch cans. I usually wipe it out with paper towels as good as I can. Not a big deal tho, your motor will just put more back in. Or you can stand it on end for a couple days & it will run out.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yessir, oil in the instake is quite normal for our cars. That is why you see people with catch cans. I usually wipe it out with paper towels as good as I can. Not a big deal tho, your motor will just put more back in. Or you can stand it on end for a couple days & it will run out.
Word, When I changed out the 00's intake for an LS6. It drained oil out for 2 or three days...
Old 02-11-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Okay......I'll do that! But I'll do it for 4 months. I won't be putting the intake on till I get back from my deployment.

Oh and this intake has injectors still on it with the fuel rails attached still! I'm wondering if they are the 28lb injectors. The 2000's came with 26lbs injectors (don't know why the hell they would do that for one year only ). Can I put the 28lbs injectors on without messing with another tune or would it be best to keep my 26lbs in?

Got to say that Mike at Marysville speed and performance is a super nice guy and has some crazy projects he's building there. Just some **** you gotta see for your self. Mark can vouch for this one!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

get a catch can. money well spent.

one of the hot dogs should be able to post up about the injectors.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
get a catch can. money well spent.

one of the hot dogs should be able to post up about the injectors.
Can you tell me a little more about the catch can? What is it? Why is it money well spent? And do I really need one?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

It goes in between the oil line that is part of the pcv system that dumps into the intake manifold, all it does is remove the oil from the airstream and keep it out of the intake tract area. My car was pinging too much and shortly after I installed it the pinging slowly went away.

I noticed pooling oil in my intake when I installed my ported throttle body, after that I picked one up the next week. There was oil pooling right behing my throttle blade in the throttle body too.

I empty it when I change the oil, usually get about an ounce of oil out of the can each time.

Look on ebay for one.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

TTT

So can anyone help me out with my injector question???
Old 02-12-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the injectors are easy. just putting the correct numbers in place of the old ones, basically. ellis can do this i am sure, a simple operation. IIRC, the latter ls6's corrected the oil issues, mine has the new set-up, but don't know if it corrected problem 100%, but at least better. My memory is going?
Robert

Quick Reply: Intake manifold question.........