Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whats the best way to cool off a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the best way to cool off a turbo?

Well, the car keeps overheating if i dont continue to drive it and just let it idle.

So im prob gonna try changing the water pump, thermostat and ceramic coat the turbo since its 2 inches from the back of the radiator.

Is there anything else that I can do to maybe help cool off a HUGE *** ******* turbo?

This overheating issue is starting to **** me off a bit...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What cooling fans are you running?
Old 02-14-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

im running twin fans (id guess around 12 inches each or so) on a griffin radiator.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had cut most of the styrofoam behind the bumper, cut 2 really big holes in the bumper support, and i cut out the camaro fascia to allow for the most airflow through the front of the bumper. When i put the camaro fascia back in the car would start to overheat on runs. Also, my fans on came on early and pretty much stayed on but i never overheated while cruising around.

What temp are your fans set to come on? I have both pretty much coming on at once since i am running an iron block and LT-1 rad. Is there enough airflow to your rad while you are driving?

Greg
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a blanket/jacket for that turbo to trap the heat inside... PTS was good enough to throw one in with their kit...
Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

it is definatly a fan problem, if it only overheats when your just sitting there idling

how hot is it getting to you have an aftermarket gauge to accuratly tell what temp it is?
what thermostate do you have and when do you have the fans kick on?

if your just idleing turbo heat shouldnt be influencing it that much (i dont think they make a turbo blanket big enough to fit your large frame turbo.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

My turbo sits just like yours and the only time I was over heating is when the fans were wired wrong. I am running dual pusher fans.....same one everyone posts on here about.

I hope you get it figured out.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

Another vote for throwing a blanket around the turbo... that will make a big difference if it's only 2" from the radiator.

As stated above, it does sound like your fans are also leaving some cooling on the table.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

You've probably checked this, so I'll apologize for stating the obvious... but make sure the fans are pushing or pulling in the direction that you think they are (swapping the wires issue).

Why not use WaterWetter in your coolant?

Good luck...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Id go with the cooling system first... like stated above... check the fans...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Check your fans. Get a 160 degree thermostat. It should run cooler.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,221 Likes on 778 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Before you start ordering stuff, make sure:
-fans are working
-fans are pushing air the right way

So are the fans on then? Mounted to front or back of the radiator?

If you check everything, look at the part number and see if you need to go up a size.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Damn, if it's overheating now imagine what it will be like when it hits 110 here!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me check what we can come up with. I have a GT55 laying here and we can possibly try some coatings and heat deflecting materials.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Let me check what we can come up with. I have a GT55 laying here and we can possibly try some coatings and heat deflecting materials.

Awesome man. From the conversation I had with a tuner out here (NicD), he said it could possibly be a few things.

1. water pump/ thermostat could need to be replaced.

2. turbo sits too close to the radiator(but I dont know if thats actually the issue because Allan said he wasnt having any problems in LA, and let it sit at idle for 30-40 minutes without it going over 200)

When I first got the car back, it over heated and spewed up all the coolant.

I just poured purified water in the radiator and topped it off.

About a week ago I tried putting water wetter in it, but now it seems that it runs even hotter then it did before when cruising around(before was maybe around 195-200, now its close to 200-205).

I had to run the heater on full blast to keep it from over heating on me until I start driving and it can cool down a bit.

I also noticed last week that only the left fan was working. So I replaced a fan relay last night and both seem to be working now.

I can tell if its a puller/pusher type fan, maybe Allan can come in here and post up some of the specs concerning that settings that everyone has asked about.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
it is definatly a fan problem, if it only overheats when your just sitting there idling

how hot is it getting to you have an aftermarket gauge to accuratly tell what temp it is?

if your just idleing turbo heat shouldnt be influencing it that much (i dont think they make a turbo blanket big enough to fit your large frame turbo.

Whats wierd about it is before i put in the water wetter, I could beat up on it when Im driving no problem, it would just start over heating once I pulled off the freeway and let it idle for more then 5 minutes.

Now we went out and did 2 third gear pulls and then it started to get warm while driving.

Man, I just wish Allan wasnt so far. You pay a **** load of money and expect to get a final product, whether or not its his fault, its just frustrating.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
Damn, if it's overheating now imagine what it will be like when it hits 110 here!
Thats exactly what Im afraid of, it was prob close to 60*'s out side last night.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

is the hottest its getting 205*, if so that aint too bad. But it might get hotter in the summer.
to find out if its a pusher or puller fan , just put your hand near the radator (disclamer: dont get your hand chopped off by the fan) and see what way the air is blowing when the fan is running. if the fans are mounted in front of it you want the air to be blowing to the radiator, if the fans are mounted on the back you wan tthe air to be sucking the air out of the radiator (ala blowing the other way).
Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smokinHawk

From what I understand, the fans are supposed to kick in after 195 or when the ac is on, but i know 1 of them(the left one) is on all the time, or at least it seems that way.

When we tried using HPTuners last night to log data, it wouldnt even let him in it, so I dont know if Allan locked the pcm, or what the issue is, but we cant log data as necessary.

I have stock water temp gauge, so obviously its hard to tell how accurate it is.

All I know is once the needle starts creeping past 210, its on its way to overheating very soon after that.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Thermo stuck closed?

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to cool off a turbo?