LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

removing engine from top???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing engine from top???

Ok so my car has sat all winter and i am ready to work on it again, but i cant get the old engine out. I am allready commited to taking it out from the top. (everything is taken off the engine, just the block basically remains) I think i am somehow stuck from the driveshaft thing from the manual trans or the clutch fork release thing, i cant figure it out, but the engine wont budge. PLease help i want to get my new 383 in soon! is there a write up sumewhere or can sumone help me? I am mechanically inclined but i think i would need some detail. I even have a shop manual for my car but cant figure it out. Also what is a good way to remove the tranny? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the hydraulic piston with two bolts on the front of the tranny by the drivers side out, grab the end of the fork and give it a jerk to the driver side towards the door, it disengages from the throwout bearing mechanism and your home free so long as all your bell housing bolts are off.

Took me and my buddy an hour to realize it, I should have known better but a phone call to my buddy Joe and him telling me to disengage it was the key . Slid right on out after that.

Good luck!