LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Head Gaskets

I'm going to try and finish replacing the head gaskets on the TA. I pulled the drivers side head (but left on) a month ago and pulled all the bolts except one (i couldn't get to) on the passenger side (gave up). I have to jack the motor up to drop the header out of the way to get the last bolt loose.

I'm getting the heads cleaned, inspected, milled. While they are at the machine shop I'm having them put LT4 springs, reatainers, etc. on. As far as cleaning the block surface, what should I use? What should I use to get debri out of the lifter valley and cylinders (vacuum , rag)?

One last thing, does anyone have the part numbers for the oil pressure sender that bolts into the back of the block. I think I might of messed it up while trying to get a wrench back there to get the coolant crossover tube undone.

-Jon
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club

take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut the tube running to each head. remove two or three inches and replace with hose and clamps. this makes it easy. ive done five or six cars that way and works great. i usually put a rag in the lifter valley before i clean it. i usually use a piece of snd. paper to clean it with, then wipe it down with super clean on a rag. that should cut any oil residue.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1taracing
take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut the tube running to each head. remove two or three inches and replace with hose and clamps. this makes it easy. ive done five or six cars that way and works great. i usually put a rag in the lifter valley before i clean it. i usually use a piece of snd. paper to clean it with, then wipe it down with super clean on a rag. that should cut any oil residue.
I was thinking of going that route on the cross over tube. I had a really tough time getting to the banjo bolts in the back. I ended up stripping one of them. I just want to make sure that I get the surfaces really clean. Last time I did heads on a car was on my 68 Dodge Dart and I cant remember what I used to get the surfaces really clean.