Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep shorty headers or replace with longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust help!

I have a 2000 Transam that i recently purchased. I am going to make some exhaust changes very soon and i am trying to figure out which way to go. The guy that had the car before me put ceramic shorty headers on the car because he is gay i guess. I'm doing a gmmg cat back system and my question is...how bad will it hurt me to leave the shorties on? Or should I go ahead and replace them with long tubes? Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get some long tubes or atleast mid lengths. You will get a big benefit from going to long tubes!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM

You will benifit from the longtubes. But the shorties defenitly will not hurt you.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have to deal with emmisions??
Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

get Long tubes, because ur gonna have to get the parts (Y-pipe, and hi flow cats if u like) to connect the catback to your headers, so if you plan on changing them ever then it would be most cost effective to do it now. get longtubes and a y pipe to fit up to your cat back. It'll get the "best" sound and most performance outta ur catback as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by byler900f
I have a 2000 Transam that i recently purchased. I am going to make some exhaust changes very soon and i am trying to figure out which way to go. The guy that had the car before me put ceramic shorty headers on the car because he is gay i guess. I'm doing a gmmg cat back system and my question is...how bad will it hurt me to leave the shorties on? Or should I go ahead and replace them with long tubes? Thanks guys!
I'm sorry, am I the only one who found that hilarious?

Definitely go with LT's. According to alot of people on this board, save your money and buy some kooks or qtp's. They seem to be well worth it.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

if you have the money definitely go with kook or qtp lt's, otherwise pacesetters work just fine.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input guys! I don't have to deal with emisions here so all I am really want is MORE POWER! Long tubes it is! you guys know anybody looking for some ceramic shorties?ha ha
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the input guys! I don't have to deal with emisions here so all I am really want is MORE POWER! Long tubes it is! you guys know anybody looking for some ceramic shorties?ha ha
sell em back to the *** who originally purchased them...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
I'm sorry, am I the only one who found that hilarious?
no, i was gonna quote that too. ****** hilarious :lo:
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
no, i was gonna quote that too. ****** hilarious :lo:
I was thinkin the same thing I have shorties their decent but LT's and Midlenths definitly do help out ALOT more all in how much you want outa your car
Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

i vote go long tubes as well,you won't regret it.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok I've got a slightly different answer.

Essentially shorties flow better than stock manifolds, but that's not what proper exhaust tuning is about. It's about scavenging. On an n/a/ engine you can introduce a 5 process into the combustion cycle, this is where via scavenging you can increase air velocity into the cylinder. Proper exhaust tuning can contribute up to 80% of the air velocity. So it plays a major factor.

Primary pipe length will determine the rpm range that scavenging takes place, as you need to have each pulse arrive in the collector at the right time in order to scavenge from the other cylinder on the down stroke. Get this timing wrong and scavenging will not take place.

Shortie manifolds need very high rpm in order to scavenge effectivly, possible somewhere around 9000-10,000rpm hence people don't see much gain with them. Mids work better in lower rpms but they still prefer high rpms for best benfit. Long tubes will allow scavenging at the lowest rpms, which suits the LS1 best and will offer the best torque and hp over the entire rpm range.

Now the only time this is different is on a supercharged car, as the intake air is actually being forced into each cylinder under a constant, so scavenging can not take place to the same extent. Flow is more important on this kind of setup as it will releive back pressure and extract hot gases quicker, this means you can run less boost for the same gain (or the same boost for more gain) it will also reduce the risk of detonation.

So therefore the choice you have is:

1. If you plan on n/a cammed setup get the long tubes as they will be a benefit. And will still work on a supercharger setup also.

2. If your plan is to get a Pro-Charger or similar pretty soon then the shorties will offer very similar gains on a blown application. So you can save yourself some money and hassle.

Disclaimer
This is my interpretation of information I have read, researched & collected on exhaust setups and designs. Therefore please use your own ability to verify or disprove any claims if you feel they are inaccurate.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

^^Very well written. I would definetly switch to Long Tubes, they will also make your car sound better on top of the power and better scavenging.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

You are the man 300bhp/ton! That was one hell of an answer! Thanks again guys, for all of your input.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

This English guy knows his ****!! I've seen replies from this guy on other threads and he always posts in complete detail.

300bhp/ton, are you like an LS1 supertech, or do you just do your homework?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree that 300bhp/ton is very knowledgeable in the subject of cars. I can honestly i say i enjoy reading his posts more than anyone elses on this forum. Always very mature and clear posts.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk108
I agree that 300bhp/ton is very knowledgeable in the subject of cars. I can honestly i say i enjoy reading his posts more than anyone elses on this forum. Always very mature and clear posts.
agreed upon.... i think he's mod worthy (from overseas? ...is that possible?)

anyways have fun with your LT's!
Old 05-02-2006, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

gee guys you'll make be blush

In answer, yes I read a lot as well as years of tinkering and working with engines/cars.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could this thread have been older? From the grave!