Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Question about turbo

If you have a turbo with a water cooled center bearing housing, do you need to use it? Can you just leave it unhooked and just run the oil thru the oil section tp provide cooling and lube, or does i need to have water hooked up?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can leave it un-hook. I'd just put a temperary cap or something to keep crap out of it incase you ever decide to use it.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
you can leave it un-hook. I'd just put a temperary cap or something to keep crap out of it incase you ever decide to use it.
So it will esentiaslly be oil cooled then like most standard turbos, but will it be cooled sufficiently since it was designed for water cooled? Worried aout bearing life.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

It'll be fine. It's used on some factory turbo cars because some people would never let the turbo cool after a hard run, causing the bearings to coke. As it is with oil cooled only, it would be no different than any standard turbo.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey realquick - I have a pair of turbos I want to run that both have water cooled center carts but I dont know how you would run water to them and keep it flowing, or if you need to cool it (aux heat exchanger) or if the radiator might get overwhelmed by the addtion of two hot turbos if you just routed them into the regular cooling system. What were you thinking about as far as that? Or were just going to ditch water cooling? I do know you don't need a turbo timer if you have it...so thats kind of nice.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The amount of heat the turbo(s) put into the cooling system is minimal compared to what is produced by combustion itself. If you have a ball bearing turbo you must hook up the coolant lines, but you can leave them unhooked on a standard journal bearing turbo. I always hook up the lines, they help promote a longer lifespan of your turbo, and will reduce the amount of idle time you need to cool the turbo down after hard driving.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Restricted User

I'm with Eviltwins on this one - IF you do have a true dual ball bearing turbo, I would DEFINATELY hook up the line(s) for the water/coolant. As far as if your turbo is std. journal bearing and it has provisions for it, just remember this: do you unhook your radiator hoses and just let your motor run on oil? I think you'll find the turbo lasts much longer and is more reliable with the extra cooling.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eviltwins
The amount of heat the turbo(s) put into the cooling system is minimal compared to what is produced by combustion itself. If you have a ball bearing turbo you must hook up the coolant lines, but you can leave them unhooked on a standard journal bearing turbo. I always hook up the lines, they help promote a longer lifespan of your turbo, and will reduce the amount of idle time you need to cool the turbo down after hard driving.
I emailed Rick at ITS and he says for the ball bearing turbo, definitley run coolant/water...dont plug the holes.

Lo_jack, I was looing a a geat deal ona turbo that had the water cooled center, but I didnt want to run water thru it, so looks like a standard bearing turbo is best for me.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting. Well I have a pair of water cooleds, but I cannot figure out a reasonable way to get water to them. Back to research for me.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes and no...some units can be ran without water some can't. Most of the time you can run them (DBB's) without water as long as your not road racing. EGT's and high oil temps are what hurts turbos. You can typically pull a unit apart and look at the color of heat on the shaft and bearings.

Quick Reply: Question about turbo