Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust connections - which is better for what...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust connections - which is better for what...

I am considering installing long tubes, Y pipe w/ cats.

I am unclear on the advantages / disadvantages of the various methods of connecting parts of the exhaust together where you can remove them later (not welded).

The various methods I have seen are:
band clamps
flanges bolted together
Ball and Cone??
Slip Fit?
Duct Tape just kidding

It seems most of the setups I have seen use band clamps to connect the header collector to the Y pipe.

I would be interested in knowing where each of these methods make sense and what are the pros and cons of each - do they leak, are they hard to align & connect, etc.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you planning on removing the cats at a later date?

If that's the reason you're considering not welding I would say you're making a mistake. The gains from no cats is very minimal. And the potential headaches of exhaust leaks from using the various methods above don't seem to be worth 5-10hp.

That said, flange or bolt clamp would probably provide the tighest fit and still be reasonable easy to swap out.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Are you planning on removing the cats at a later date?

If that's the reason you're considering not welding I would say you're making a mistake. The gains from no cats is very minimal. And the potential headaches of exhaust leaks from using the various methods above don't seem to be worth 5-10hp.

That said, flange or bolt clamp would probably provide the tighest fit and still be reasonable easy to swap out.
No, I don't want to remove the cats - I plan on always running cats. I assume the cats would be welded into the y-pipe.

I was mainly asking about connecting the headears to the Y pipe - it seems band clamps are what I have seen the most. I don't think anyone would weld there Y pipe to the header collectors - how would you ever drop the exhuast to work on stuff.

It also seems like it would be a good idea to have some sort of removeable connection towards the rear of the Y pipe before it goes over the exhuast so you could unbolt it easily.

I am confused about what type of joint would be best for each application -

band clamps to connect headers to y-pipe?

flanges bolted together for rear Y-pipe connection???

Thanks