Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for tuning experts out there

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for tuning experts out there

My question is can I get myself into any serious trouble and cause damage with the following:

I have just installed a Granetteli 85mm MAF. I already had the HPPIII Power Tuning in. There was no resulting detonation for the first several weeks.

Then I got a bad tank of gas and it detonated. I took out the power tuning and ran several tanks through it. I just reinstalled the Power Tuning and filled up at my favorite station. No detonation.

My question is - with what I am doing can I lean the car out too much and cause damage without knowing it? Another words, if I don't hear detonation, no codes are coming in, and the car is pulling harder than ever, can I assume it is good?

I know that I really need to get it ATAP'd or someting to know what is up, but on my limited budget, I can't do that every time I turn around and can't afford my own copy.

I just wondered if the system can compensate for dummies like me or should I stop fooling with it?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Question for tuning experts out there

If it is detonating like you said, the system is probably seeing tons of knock retard which is there to protect it from grenading itself.

The best way to check would be to pull a few plugs and take a look at the condition of the electrode(s). They'd be the first thing to melt, break off, deteriorate under major detonation before punching a hole through the top of any pistons. If you pull them out and they look like they should normally, I wouldn't lose much sleep.

I think you're fine.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question for tuning experts out there

Yeah, I did that and the plugs look real good. Nice tan color.

I'm thinking of getting a Scanmaster to see what it is up to. And then maybe a MAFT to richen it up if need be.