Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech cooling alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vortech cooling alternatives

I've got a Vortech T-trim on a 9:1 360 ci motor. I have the standard Vortech aftercooler system. This system seems to be marginally effective at moving air and cooling the charge. I'm looking for an alternative. I thought about moving the cooler to behind the firewall, increasing the diameter of the tubing to and from the cooler. I have also thought about going to an air to air cooler. I would think that I could ultimately cool the charge better by using an air to water system though. I keep bouncing ideas around, really haven't come up with anything solid. Any ideas out there?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a large A2A on my Vortech and am very happy. If you are willing to do the design and fab yourself, or pay someone to do it, the results will be great.

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html
Old 02-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Delta, very nice setup, your page is very informative. Is there any down side to lengthening the path that the charged air takes from the supercharger to the engine intake?

Speed inc. looks like they make a nice A2A cooler for the F-bodies. If I go that route, i'll probably do one of those.

With the A2W2A setup, I was thinking about doing an ice box, mounted in the trunk with a pump running the water forward to to the cooler, which would be mounted under the dash. there is plenty of room there as I have gutted the AC and heating.

I would think that you could keep a more constant temperature with a water cooled system as opposed to the A2A which would only cool as the vehicle's speed increased.

Let me know if my thinking is incorrect. What to do, what to do.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Why not just add Alkycontrol system?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any down side to lengthening the path that the charged air takes from the supercharger to the engine intake?
Adding a normal amount of tubing length for a crank-driven blower would rarely be noticeable under boost, since the blower revs exactly with the engine (minus any slip) and charging that short amount of piping is quickly done. An exception, like mine, is if you have a large bypass. On mine, due to its position, more air flows through the bypass at no-boost (vacuum) conditions, than flows through the blower and FMIC. It's not until I really put my foot in it and the bypass registers the boost and shuts that I start building boost. Still playing with the adjusting spring.

A well designed and ducted A2A will cool effectively at any speed over maybe 20mph, and doesn't pick up any huge IC cooling gains above maybe 50mph, depending on the system.

A2W still needs to shed its heat back into the air through a W2A cooler.

Ice box would be great for the track or short hi-speed runs. You'd be surprised how quickly the ice melts on the street. My friend's melts in a 30-min, medium performance drive, and then the temps start climbing.

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I was planning on running an alky setup either way I went, forgot to mention that. Good points, that's what I was looking for. Maybe A2A with alky would be the way to go along with a good alky system. That would ultimately be the simplest way to go. I like simple.

Quick Reply: Vortech cooling alternatives