LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil pan gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pan gasket replacement

So I removed the timing cover on my 96 Z28 a while back w/o loosening/lowering the oil pan, and I split the front of the oil pan gasket. It looks like kind of a pain in the *** to replace it, so do any of you guys have any info on replacing the oil pan gasket on an lt1 f-body? Maybe point me in the direction of a write up out there on the web? I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

i know when i did mine it wan't that much fun, you just have to be patient. what pissed me off about mine was that i just had put the motor in, you will most likely have to remove the motor mount bolts & raise the engine a few inches til you can pull the pan out, remove the starter & dip stick tube,if you have an air compressor it would be a good time to use it cause some of the bolts are hard to get to, it's pretty tight underneeth there. after you do get it out make sure you go with a one piece gasket it make everything o a lot smoother. make sure to use a cherry picker to raise the engine & not a juack like some people ive seen do, good luck man
Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah about the only place I could see to jack it would be under the oil pan but if you do that, obviously you can't get the pan off. I've often wanted to replace mine but haven't cuz I know it would be a bitch. It seems I've used enough silicone to make mine useable.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I took pictures last night. the easy way is to drop the K-member. I have mine out but you can drop it enough to get the pan off no problems
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Yeah I'm buying the gasket this weekend cuz i'm tired of expensive synthetic oil being wasted and dripping on the driveway. Hopefully I'll get it done, and thanks for all the advice guys. But I've also read somewhere that you don't have to jack the motor or remove the k-member at all, and that the pan will drop just low enough to snake the old one out and snake a new one in. I just think it would be real tricky getting a one piece gasket under the oil pickup when working with like a 2-3" gap, if that, between the block and pan. Can anyone vouch for the validity of this statement?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

HERE are a few pics
Old 03-07-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah trust me i tried that pulling the engine up and just slipping it in...yeah **** that....not enough room especially a biatch to get to a couple of the bolts on the pan..ended up just dropping the k member 5 inches...pulling the whole pan out and then doing it...and then yeah the major **** off...it still didnt seal and started leaking 2 weeks later so now im pulling the whole engine this weekend and replacing my blown headgaskets. the oil pan, intake of course, front seal, underdrive pulley, new valve covers, and MAYBE a bmr k-member if i can get it by then and freshening up and cleaning everything

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket replacement