Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

My new engine, for those who care:

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My new engine, for those who care:

So I mentioned in another thread that I bought myself a birthday present. Well I haven't gotten it back to my garage yet, so here is a picture from the manual:

Obviously it doesn't have the stern drive stuff on it, it's just the engine. The details are:
Volvo B230 block (same as mine)
Forged Penta 86mm stroke crankshaft to make it 2.5L
DOHC 16 valve aluminum head
9.7:1 compression
Dual carbs
Rated 167hp @ 5700rpm

So! This engine revs to 7k, was designed for continuous revving at 5-6k, and with fuel injection and an exhaust manifold or header, it will easily have 180+hp NA. The engine has 500 hours on it, which is like 20k auto miles. This is the same engine that countless drag cars in Sweden have 700-900hp in (but with forged rods and pistons).

Here is what I am going to do:
- Use LS1 coil packs to create my own distributorless coil-per-cylinder wasted spark system, controlled by MSnS-E.
- Change from carbeurated to fuel injected, also to be controlled by MSnS-E
- Custom turbo header made
- Most likely HX35W turbo will go on it

I am going to sell my current Volvo to fund the project, because the one I have is too nice to turn into a race car, especially the nearly flawless interior. So I plan to put my car back to stock, and try as hard as I can to find a red hood for it. I am then going to try to find a Volvo 242, which is a 2 door coupe, and put the engine into that. I'll use either a T5 or T56 transmission, and my goal powerwise will be 350rwhp+.

This is going to take awhile, as in a year or more, because of funds and other stuff, so I will keep updating this if others are even interested of my crazy Volvo ideas.

I will post more pictures and maybe even a video of the engine running when I pick it up later this week
Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great plan. Should be a fun project!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Damn Eric, you're really jumping in huh? Has it ever been run in salt water?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. those penta's are great motors. Had a friend with one in his boat. Ran forever, never any trouble with it. Very interesting project!!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Damn Eric, you're really jumping in huh? Has it ever been run in salt water?
Oh that's what I forgot to mention. I was kinda worried when I went to check out the engine that the head would be corroded from salt water damage because that is a common problem with these motors. Turns out is has only been used in fresh water . I saw the guy's boat it came out of and there was no evidence of salt water on it either. Looked into the valve cover, and everything looks almost new, it's a pretty sweet engine
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You suck!

Thats what I wanted to do all along but I could never find a 242 that wasnt a total reclamation project. I love the old 242 body. And some of what those swedes have done with them is amazing.

Right now I am just trying to find a holset at a decent price for my 850.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Haha sucker! I've got a few lines on some 242s, but I'm not sure if the decent ones are for sale

I was also looking at a Holset for my car before I got this, I was looking at the HY35W which is probably what you were looking for as well? Anyways that'll be too small for my new engine . My friend has one HY35W that I think needs to be rebuilt, but I don't know how much that costs, and I am not sure how much he is asking. PM me if you are interested.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Update, got the engine home and in my garage tonight:

Mmmmm Porsche designed head..

Also have some coil packs on the way!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seriously want to see this hit the street. That would be so cool to be whipping the asses of Ford boys and Camaro's and a few Vettes with an "old" Volvo.

I really like seeing something unusual that can kick ***.

Post as you go on this one!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the support Cory!

Received 7 working truck coil packs today. Now I just need to figure out how to wire them up to MegaSquirt, which hopefully has been done before. I think I will probably need to get a second ignition module, and do a lot of reading .

Checked with Turbo Technology in Tacoma to see what kind of pricing they would do for a turbo header. I realize it would be a one-off, custom header, but for the price they could do it for, I can get a stainless header shipped from Finland, and coated, or buy myself a nice welder and some weld els. So I'll probably try to learn how to weld pretty soon here.

So my list of things to do this coming week:
- Build stand for it
- Wire it up to a battery, hose, and get running
- Try to get MegaSquirt running spark on the engine
Old 03-17-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is going in the red Volvo I saw at the track?...I f-ing love it!!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Nope, I plan to sell the red one because I want something more "old-school." If I can find a Volvo 242 Turbo or GLT I will put it into that, but they are somewhat hard to come by. Something like this:

I might run the red one again on the 26th one last time, with the new clutch I will definately do 15s and 14s are plausible lol.

Oh and by the way, the guy I bought the engine from is a Dodge Viper mechanic, and right now is rebuilding a Hennessey 800TT that the owner crashed into a wall or something. He also has a perfect 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a 428 Cobra Jet, and he says 500+hp. Orange/black and soo sweet. Very cool guy.

Last edited by Poik; 03-17-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

How heavy are those cars? What times are you shooting for? How much boost you gonna run on that engine?
Love the the welder idea, my wife would shoot me but I'd love to have one. I used to know how to weld a very long time ago but always thought it would be fun to learn again and knowing how to and having a welder is a great skill.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'll be shooting for 12s with 11 second trap speeds. I won't be setting this car up for drag though. My goal is to have it weigh less than 3000 with me and a full tank of gas. That should mean I only have to take ~200lbs off the car. The back seats will be thrown out and front ones replaced. On this engine before I rebuild it I don't plan at the moment to run more than ~20psi, which should put me around 350-375rwhp I would think, and keep it ~10psi on the street for the most part.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Banned

Sounds like its going to be very interesting. Cant wait to see the finished product. You'll have a sleeper for sure dude!! You'll be killing people left and right until they catch on to ya...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well some bad news. Oil under the valve cover is milky, so I am hoping it is just from being stored over winter and condensation etc.. That's my optimistic side. If I have to replace the head gasket or block, I might start building it up right now.

I need to get it up on a stand so I can change the oil and let it run for awhile, but I haven't made a stand yet, and I don't have a lift in Bellingham! (I was borrowing my friend's)
Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
Thanks for the support Cory!

Received 7 working truck coil packs today. Now I just need to figure out how to wire them up to MegaSquirt, which hopefully has been done before. I think I will probably need to get a second ignition module, and do a lot of reading .

<snip>

I'm not sure Megasquirt has enough available channels to do CNP ignitions. MSnS will do ignition, but still requires some sort of distributor. You may want to look at the Megasquirt II. It's based on a more powerful microcontroller and has more capability. The biggest drawback at this point is that it's so new that there is not the huge amout of software available - yet.

I have 4 Megasquirts and am in the process of converting the Deuce to MSnS.

-
Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

What are 'CNP ignitions'? The flywheel on this engine has a 60-2 Bosch toner ring on it. In MSnS-Extra, you can use decoder settings and a wheel like this, or the more common 36-1 wheel, to provide the information necessary to do spark. I just need to build an extra 'VR conditioner' circuit to get the information from the sensor pickup on the wheel. I know MSnS-E has 3-4 spark outputs, and I will only need to use 2 to run this. I found pinouts for the LS1 coil packs, so hopefully in the next few weeks I will have spark hooked up to the engine.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a picture of under the valve cover, it looks great except for the latte..

Quick Reply: My new engine, for those who care: