Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

front plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front plate

got pulled over tonight for not having a front liscense plate (live in ohio)...wondering if anyone has come up with a sweet way to mount the plate without ruining the look of the front end, love having the filler piece in, but i dont think i have any other options than to take it off and mount the plate where it should be...any suggestions or ideas?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

file for a lost front plate...that will keep you out of tickets for a while but its not a permanent fix
Old 03-15-2006, 12:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen some people put it in the front windshield and the front air dam. I personally think both don't look that great. Another option is to put the plate there and us a clear license plate cover: http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/ponfirclearl.html
Old 03-15-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

thought it was illegal to put the plate in the windshield? i think ill def have to look into getting the clear cover, looks like a good option
Old 03-15-2006, 01:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
got pulled over tonight for not having a front liscense plate (live in ohio)...
Who pulled you over? A state blooper? On my old 94 Camaro and my Formula 350, I haven't had a front plate on in nearly 9 years. Pulled over a few times for other reasons, nothing was said. I just bought a filler for my Trans Am, (Didn't come with one.) and I'm about to launch my plate onto the backseat floormat and throw the bird back up front.

As for the solution, I have seen a few people mount them on the air dam. It don't look too bad, but the license plate will not look pretty. Dirt and bugs and scrapes all over it. I wish we would just get rid of front plates like 75% of the country.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Dont be too sure about those clear covers. I got pulled over and was told to take my clear covers off. Im sure a young guy drivin a red TA was the reason I got pulled over and the plate covers were the only thing he could find to pin on me but who knows. A friend of mine put his front plate on his passenger sun visor with some straps looping through the screw holes. That way he can run his car however he wants and when he gets pulled over he just flops the sun visor down so the plate is visible. Not sure if thats legal (since putting it on the dash isnt) but its something you might consider.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Ohio cracking down on this? I just got pulled over by a state trooper the other day for no front plate. I hate worrying about it everytime I pass a cop. I'm just going to drill the holes in the front grill to mount the whole bracket. I don't need to bring any extra attention to the car or the driver
Old 03-15-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Ahh..another front plate discussion...if they're required in your state, you usually have to have it on the frontmost part of the vehicle, or you'll get stopped for it.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

i got pulled over too. all i did was tape it on and had it signed off. there is not place to mount the plate on our cars from the factory. corvettes, porshes, and any other car like that don't have one either. so i would just leave it off and bring this point up if you get pulled over again.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

this might sound crazy but my friend had a idea to get like a latch like a door hinge and put it under the bumper so it hangs down and have it hooked up to a mechanism not sure what to use but when u get pulled over u just push a button and it comes down and you can put it up whenevr u want??? sounds crazy but could work
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

When I first got my car i pulled teh front plate off and taped it to the floor of my garage fo a while so that I would roll over it comming and going...

I then placed it in my trunk and whenever I get pulled over and the cop notices I dont have a plate I tell him that I know..and that it fell off just this morning....Ive always been told to make sure it gets back on...Onec I had to go down to prove that it wa son..I used toggle bolts thru my grill to hold teh plate on..then got it signed off...then removed them when I got home..
Old 03-15-2006, 08:32 PM
In Need of Cup Holders!

Im having some front end work done, and Ill be damned if Im going to be paying for a new bumper plus paint, only to have holes drilled into it and big ugly plate bracket put on.

I plan on mounting it on the front air dam, but if I cant make it stay, its going in the back seat. For about a year and a half, I had two cars that didnt have a front plate and got pulled over for it once and didnt get a ticket. So Im not too worried about it.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Racafella13
this might sound crazy but my friend had a idea to get like a latch like a door hinge and put it under the bumper so it hangs down and have it hooked up to a mechanism not sure what to use but when u get pulled over u just push a button and it comes down and you can put it up whenevr u want??? sounds crazy but could work
You could use a universal manual choke cable and mount it under the dash out of site. Mount the plate under the bumoer & pull the choke to pop it down & use a springed hinge so it flips back up easily.

Or just leave it off & deal with the po-po on occasion. That's what I'd do.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dementia
Dont be too sure about those clear covers.
Not sure about all states.. but license plate covers of ANY kind aren't legal in IL.
If you really don't want to run the plate, your best bet is to keep it in the car and be polite if you ever have a problem... and be prepared to have to pay a ticket every now and then.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i got pulled over for no front plate on my 1986 peugot but not the bird yet and i been pulled over before never got one for it...... lets hope it stays that way damn cops
Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I do as jbuerke142 does, we both live in IL,

*music***** the police*music*
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Somebody makes a front bracket that bolts on underneath the front lip of the nose. Holes are underneath. Cant remember who makes it. Do a Google.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got nailed too...first time in almost a year. Im do what bitviper does. Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

what about mounting it behind a billet grill i have seen that done and it dosnt look to bad

Quick Reply: front plate