Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Part number for Pilot Bushing??.. not Bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Part number for Pilot Bushing??.. not Bearing.

We're doing my buddy's Ram HD install this weekend and we are going to use the bronze bushing this time.

I've searched... anyone have a part number??? Or is it the same as an old school SBC?

I'm pretty sure we can get one locally.. any tips?

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-21-2006, 08:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NO part number just go to the parts store and tell them you need a bronze pilot bearing for a 69 Camaro with a Muncie 4 Speed.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the benefit of using this in an ls1 car?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pretty common for ls-1 owners to remove the tranny for clutch swap, and notice the stock pilot bearing has decided to come apart for what ever reason. For this reason I recomend the bronze bushings only. It requires very little lubrication. Less parts to fail. And lets not yet for get that gm used the bushings for many years previously. When the roller bearing comes apart it can cause all kinds of problems from a vibration to grinding of the gears to broken slave cyliders. If the bushing does get slightly damaged for what ever reason it will stil do its job where as the roller bearing can come apart. I don't believe that the little amount of friction that is reduced with the roller bearing is worth the added potental for failure.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info! not looking forward to doing this install again this weekend!!

seems to me the roller is to fragile. im sure many have no problem with it. but its been a pain to get the torque tube back in, and i think its been damaging the roller bearing on the way in. this bushing should take care of that problem!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
It is pretty common for ls-1 owners to remove the tranny for clutch swap, and notice the stock pilot bearing has decided to come apart for what ever reason.
Yup mine did on the previous clutch and so did Brian's... Thanks for the info!!!

Originally Posted by C5 KIDD
thanks for the info! not looking forward to doing this install again this weekend!!
I'm kinda looking forward to it.. then to my HD in another week or maybe before.. with a bronze bushing too...

Quick Reply: Part number for Pilot Bushing??.. not Bearing.