Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Am I shifting wrong? WOT technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Am I shifting wrong? WOT technique

I was practicing some race technique lately and when I rip the 1-2 shift wot fast and precise, It busts the tires loose like crazy and i go all over the place swerving sideways. I am used to driving fbodies so I am able to correct it for the most part but I am a bit afraid to do it now.

I have 275 street tires.
Ls1 with a few mods here and there.
Today was just under 40*F so it will get warmer soon.

Any ideas or tips?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats basically called powershifting. Its an excellent technique to use, as it gives you the best acceleration and therefore the fastest times at the track.

However, powershifting is hard on the drivetrain. Its rough on the clutch, being that it has to equalize the engine and transmission RPMs, an during the powershift the engine is gaining speed (WOT) while the transmission is decreasing the input shaft speed due to changing to a higher gear. Its also hard on the synchros for the same reason. The larger the variance in RPM's, the more stress it puts on the synchros.

Its also a good way to blow out your stock rear differential, but you'll now rght away if that happens
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

He didn't say that he shifted without lifting off the gas. And no, your not shifting wrong, mine blows the tires off in 2nd no problem. It's alot of fun, but spinning just slows you down. I am mounting up the DRs soon, you might want to check you out a set.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, he doesn't mention that he's powershifting (right foot planted on the gas while the left engages clutch), he's just shifting very quickly. I wouldn't worry about it, I do it and even with drag radials I get sideways on the 1-2 shift if I'm not careful. Get yourself a set of drag radials and it will decrease the amount you spin, that way you have more of a chance to break something in the drivetrain.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assumed he was refferring to powershifting based on this:

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I rip the 1-2 shift wot fast and precise.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Today was just under 40*F
theres part of your answer right there
Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rip = power
I guess that I am as well.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

...I rip the 1-2 shift wot fast and precise, It busts the tires loose like crazy...Any ideas or tips?
how about lifting the throttle a tad when shifting into 2nd? you dont just floor it in 1st from a stop do you? throttle manipulation...
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Im not powershifting, I do lift off the gas but I shifting hard and fast. I guess ill wait till the weather gets a bit warmer. I would get drag radials but michigan weather is very unpredictable and i dont want to be stuck far away from home in the rain.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I'd stay away from DR's on a stock rear end. When I powershift, even with my old lt1, I break loose on the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift every time. I have cheap *** tires, and its also kinda nippy out. But thats powershifting. I never shift hard and fast with a regular shift.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's more the temperature than anything. My clutch is toast, but I can still get the car sideways on the 1-2 and 2-3 as long as it's chilly out. I think it's a combination of cold road + cold/hard tire compound. That's without powershifting, just "speed shifting".
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely no traction with Nitto DR's when it's cold third can get scary also depending on the road surface.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was practicing some race technique lately and when I rip the 1-2 shift wot fast and precise, It busts the tires loose like crazy and i go all over the place swerving sideways. I am used to driving fbodies so I am able to correct it for the most part but I am a bit afraid to do it now.

I have 275 street tires.
Ls1 with a few mods here and there.
Today was just under 40*F so it will get warmer soon.

Any ideas or tips?

I have a 2001 z28 m6 and I used to have the same problem on 1-2 and 2-3.
Also i live in IL and this time a year plays a big part.

I'm sure your shifting sound is fine.

there are three reason why you are not getting traction.

1st, you already stated it! 40degree weather. Even though the sun is out and you might not wear a jacket the roads are still to cold to be sticky. Also the ground in thawing out, even though the roads dont look wet, they still hold moisture. Finally salt on the roads, fills in the roads rough surface and make roads as slick as ice. hence why you always see white cloud of powder fly up behind cars. So dont expect to grip, even with great tires and suspension mods, the roads are not ready yet!

2nd, I run 275 tires and yes tires help but only if the car transfers weight properly in other words SQUAT. the first mods a person should do on an fbody is suspension. Yes suspension mods dont really feel fast and definitely dont look fast on a dyno but they help you grip, improve your ETs and save your *** from going sideways.

LCA- allviate wheel hop
sway bars- help prevent lateral movement (*** end kicking out)
torque arm- help promote proper squat
shocks- you want a stiff rear shock that resists and uses the car natural tendacy to lean back upon acceleration causing more force upon the back tires. theres more chasis setup then just that, but that will get you started.

3rd and finally its an f-body, with lots of torque and rearwheel drive. There are advance techniques to control the *** end when upshifting under heavy acceleration. Always feather the gas, when you feel alot of tire spin and drive through it.

Quick Reply: Am I shifting wrong? WOT technique