LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problem

ok so... 2 weeks ago i replaced my opto with a brand new Ac Delco opti.i relaced it due to a high rpm miss and finally it quite from water pump leak. while doing the install i replaced the water pump, opti, plugs/plug wires, and a fuel filter. after all of that was done the car ran great. i was pulling to 6000 6100 no problemn with no miss. i wen out to the local 1/4 miles and ran it. the first pass was a 13.78 at 100.14 cool i has happy with that. the second pass came along and the high rpm miss came back. i looked under the car and no water or oil on the opti(it still looked like it did when i put it on.) now everytime i take it up the 5000 it stummbles then goes past it. im not sure what is wrong all i know is that i paid $400 for a opti that lasted me 2 weeks. it was also installed correctly and in time. another thing is that in the dark you can see the coil glowing around the magnet i guess it is when reved. i have been through 3 coils and they all do the same thing. the ses light also has not come on through out any of this process af craped out opti's. if anyone has had something similar or this exact problem, help would be greatly oppriciated.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

my guess is this, U have a burnt wire now or a plug or boot came loose. I would re check them. I know that on a few wires i had they were arching but i could not even tell by looking at the wires. Has to do it for a while before they start to diss color.

Start it up at night and look around. If there is an arch u will see it.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, 96SCTA...your car's on fire.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know one time some one actualy thought it was on fire !!!!!! lol
Old 03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Back on topic, maby one of the plug boots poped off a little? I kinda doubt it though.
I think the coil is the current problemb.. but how you have killed 3 coild is above me. Dose the computer try to work the coil harder when the opti is bad??????

Are there any coils out that can safley be run an a stock opti without burning up the cap? Somthang that is a canaster where it cant short out where the past 3 have.

I dont think an ingintion modgual can fail intermently can it? isant it work or nothang?

Could the harness to the opti cause this also?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I think you need spell check, Generico.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

what about the cap and rotor???
Old 03-26-2006, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

ha... good call omaha but i think it is Generic "Zero" not gereric"o". But anyway has anyone's car had the tendency to eat coils. i dont quite think it is normal to put 3 coils on the car since Aug of 05 and one of them being the MSD that goes in the factory spot. and all of them after time do the same thing. i guess i am lucky because i got the neon light under the hood as a factory option!!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes i went through 3 coils in one summer before. What casued it was my crane high 6 ignition box pushing to much and buring up the coils. The coil that works best for me is a stock one. Never toasted one yet
Old 03-26-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

It kind of sounds like the problem I had back in June. In my case I replaced the opit, coil, wires, plugs, and went with an electric water pump. After all that it ran great for about 10 miles and then the miss started coming back. Turns out one of my brand new plug wires had dried out and was arcing off one of my header tubes. And it would only do this when the header tubes were up to normal operating temp, which makes sense because electricity is more inclined to arc/jump in higher temperatures. Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

yes texas ta, the new opti came with a cap and rotor. the next day after the visit to the track it was fine. i cant make it miss anymore but he coil still arcs. but like gereric said is there and alternitive to the stock coil that wont harm the cap and rotor??

Quick Reply: Big Problem