General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What the hell is rattling in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the hell is rattling in the back?

I pulled out interior panels, carpet, and the spare tire and jack, everything from the rear seat back trying to find this rattle. I think it's the hatch, but I can't get it right. I did a search and someone said the hatch is adjustable but I couldn't get any information other than that and couldn't figure how to adjust it.

What is causing the rattle? Is the latch not able to hold the hatch all the way down over bumps?

There's also a clunk by the tire on the drivers side, I can make it make that noise if I push on the rear drivers side by the fender, but can't figure any of it out
Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

those little black rubber octagon things might need to be adjusted so they slightly contact the car. that should make the hatch keep still. if its not that, then IDK.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clunk by the LR tire might be an under torqued LCA, or maybe even the sway bar hitting something? Noises are hard to find, but since you can duplicate the clunk just need to have someone push on the car and listen/feel the componets.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I have an suggestion. Probably few of you have had this problem or of so was unable to find the rattle. Inside the the rear fenders wheel openings, there is a fender support maybe 6 to 10 inches in past the wheel opening at the bottom edge of the fender . Sometimes the fit of the fender and the support fitting is a bit sloppy and that being to case you pick up a vibration and or a rattle. Check it out. (Both sides.)