Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Eagle F1 GS-D3 vs Nitto

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eagle F1 GS-D3 vs Nitto

Ok, I know a few of you are running these and have run those, so which one has the better traction for launch on a dry street?
My dilema is this. I have the rII's 17x275 and love them but they can be a little over powered sometimes. The only size wider is an 18 x 305. For less money I can get the GY in a 17x315 and keep my chrome zr1 wheels, (just buy a pair of 11's). If I go to an 18 I need new wheels and really want the fm10's but know it might never happen. But then(if going to an 18 wheel) I would go with the Nitto nt-01 in a 315x18. There are a number of options for wheels at that size as well, just not zr1's. The GY has the higher speed rating and would be a better tire in the rain, but will it provide the traction of the Nitto?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the GS-D3 is going to be a better all around tire, but no way will it hook up as good as a Nitto drag radial on dry pavement.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I have the D3's but never tried the Nittos. Knowing how the GY gets squirly with the power I have I would say the Nittos would be better for dry. Keep in mind I only have experience with the stock GY Eagle F1s and the F1 GS-D3s.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:28 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you never drive in the rain, I'd say go with the Nittos... if you do, go with the GS-D3s.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
If you never drive in the rain, I'd say go with the Nittos... if you do, go with the GS-D3s.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by howierd42
I have the D3's but never tried the Nittos. Knowing how the GY gets squirly with the power I have I would say the Nittos would be better for dry. Keep in mind I only have experience with the stock GY Eagle F1s and the F1 GS-D3s.
what width ds3 are you running? 275 to 315 is a big difference.
I guess I should re-phrase a little.. will the 315 ds3 hook better than the 275 nitto rII if yes then how about a 305x18 rII?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 305 hooked decent with the 400rwhp I put to them in the vette, but its not going to dead hook by any mean, the real differences are the wot at lower rpm with the Supercars it would go up in smoke with a stop of the pedal up to 40mph. with the nittos, it would spin then hook. This was the DR but really the differences between the RII and the DR in that size are minimal the DR has a reinforced sidewall too in the 18/35.

How much are you selling your 275's for? I maybe interested
Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Width of the tire doesn't matter as much as the compound does. A skinnier tire with a stickier compound will stick better than a wider tire with a harder compound. I'd say even across the board, running at 75 degree temps, the Nittos would stick better than the Goodyears. In colder weather, it's a crapshoot because the Nittos would become hard as stones at say, anything less than 50 degrees. In the rain, no question, the Goodyears would be better... but you knew that. And treadlife, the Goodyears win there as well. I'd say if you don't drive your car too much, don't drive it in the rain, then stick with the Nittos, as all things equal they'll stick better.

But if you do drive once in a while in the rain, want to go longer between tires, and just plain like the looks of a wider tire, then get the goodyears.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm probably going to get flamed but I have no problem with the nittos in the rain in fact other than full on puddle control they perform better in the ran than the F1's, Kuhmos, Goodyear KDW's, SZ250, and GSC's I've ran. Now in heavy rain they are not as nice as those but you just have to be careful. I don't know how it is in Seattle but in Portland it is mostly just a constant DREARY drizzle. It doesn't rain hard often.

JMHO, now if I was comutting 40 miles to work everyday and taking the kids all over town than no Nittos would not be an option in the winter.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Veteran

And I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, Bobby. When I decided to no longer run Nittos was when I was on my way home from racing at Bremerton (about a 35 mile drive for me), and I got caught in a rain storm. Yeah... they were downright scary. Not to mention a nice wet Tacoma Narrows Bridge increased the pucker factor of driving on them. I don't think I got above 50 mph the whole way home, driving along in the slow lane.

They were scary because they were not shedding water... they had about 5k worth of miles on them, and about a dozen or so track burnouts, so they weren't new by any means. New, I agree with you... the Nittos do an adequate job in weather. But put a few thousand miles on them and they start to show why they're a dry weather tire only. Not to mention if you don't burn them off, they don't stick a great deal better than a good max performance summer street tire. I can guarantee if I stand on the accelerator in first gear with a Nitto and with a GS-D3, they'll spin just the same for me.

But take it for what it's worth... you're also talking to someone who revs his car to 6k rpms and sidesteps the clutch, and expects whatever tires he's running for that to plant to the ground. Which is why I run just any ol' street tire that will fit my Z06 wheels (since I get no traction on the street anyhow, even if I were to run a drag radial) and stickies for the track.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28

But take it for what it's worth... you're also talking to someone who revs his car to 6k rpms and sidesteps the clutch, and expects whatever tires he's running for that to plant to the ground. Which is why I run just any ol' street tire that will fit my Z06 wheels (since I get no traction on the street anyhow, even if I were to run a drag radial) and stickies for the track.
Braggart

Yes I agree you have to be relatively careful with them in heavy rain, but really any summer performance tire is not going to dissipate rain as well as an all season the KDW's did a good job but the nittos were still better in the drizzles. I am not near as hard on them as you are, plus I drive like a bitch in heavy rains even if I'm in the grocery getter...YEP I'm one of THOSE people.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

I like this wheel for a cheeper alternative but it doesnt come in the right sizes.

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

this might work though
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0.5&bp=5-120.6

Everyone and thier brother has z06 wheels by now in one finish or another.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats because Z06 wheels look WAAAAAY better than those two! How bought chrome new z06 wheels you can get them in 18 x11 in back and 18 x 9.5 in front and would look killer and different.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

http://www.corvettegarage.com/product/z06-chrome-wheel-sale!.html
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...-120.6&rw=10.5

Where do you see them in18 x 11" width?
and the offset is 58 not 50.. ?

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 04-04-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Personally, I think OEM Z06's are the way to go.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn the Grays are out now I wonder how those would fit they look pretty damn sweet for the price
Old 04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DR's work fine in the rain. I used to commute 120 miles a day, every day for 9 months from Vancouver to Kelso during one winter. It freakin' POURS rain through Woodland (aka; the rain belt) during the winter months. Anyone that does that commute everyday can attest to that fact. I had 315 Nitto DR's on the black car during most of that time and they kicked the **** out of those POS 315 Michelin Sport Pilots (in all category's) I had on there before............. no joke! The Pilots wanted to hydroplane at anything over about 50mph in heavy rain. The DR's I could easily run 65-70 in the same down pour.

My .02.
Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

I have been running Nittos for about 2 years now. I just put on my second pair 2 months ago. I have noticed no difference in the rain than the stock F1s. However, I drive like a grandma no matter what when it rains.

As far as traction, I used to be able to spin my F1s all day long at the drop of a hat. Now I have to launch my car to get the Nittos to spin.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I like this wheel for a cheeper alternative but it doesnt come in the right sizes.

http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html

this might work though
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0.5&bp=5-120.6

Everyone and thier brother has z06 wheels by now in one finish or another.
I love the Y2K wheels myself.
Originally Posted by vtec this
I have been running Nittos for about 2 years now. I just put on my second pair 2 months ago. I have noticed no difference in the rain than the stock F1s. However, I drive like a grandma no matter what when it rains.

As far as traction, I used to be able to spin my F1s all day long at the drop of a hat. Now I have to launch my car to get the Nittos to spin.
But there is a pretty good difference (wet traction) between the STOCK F1 tires GM puts on these cars and the GS-D3's. Not saying anything negative about the Nittos at all, just that the D3's are a HUGE improvement in wet weather traction over the stock F1's.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

I love the Y2K wheels myself.
I like them as well and I think the machined blackened motorsport c6's would look hot on a black Camaro, but they dont have the sizes.

Quick Reply: Eagle F1 GS-D3 vs Nitto