Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Mustang Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mustang Dyno?

I don't know if this is the correct spot for this or not, if not please redirect me!

Alright i have a rather noobish question, but i really don't know.

What exactly is a mustang dyno? There is a place near by my house with one and i'm not exactly sure what it is as a opposed to a reg. dyno!?!

Anyways thanks for the help

Thanks,
Seth.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

It is just one of the types of dynos, I beleive the other major type is... I can't remember for the life of me right now.

sorry
Alex
Old 04-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Launching!

I think th emustang dyno will actually put force on teh car as opposed to the dynojet dyno will be free from any force put on the car. The dynojet always gives the car a higher number, but I think the mustang dyno is more acurate. I think that is the difference between the 2, but I am not sure.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are likely plenty of threads in the Dyno section...

But a Mustang dyno is also called a load dyno or an eddy-current dyno. You can simulate real load conditions (such as driving up a hill at partial throttle, etc) with the eddy-current style dyno. A regular Dynojet (without the eddy current option - it is an option on newer units) just measures wide open throttle performance. That's great - if you drive at wide open throttle 100% of the time.

Given my druthers, I'd choose a Mustang dyno every time for tuning.

And peak dyno numbers mean NOTHING. It's all about driveability and maximizing area "under the curve" on the dyno chart.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a more real world perspective, what most people are used to when they hear dyno is a dynojet chassis dyno, basically a big drum in the ground or mounted on a trailer that measures how fast you can accelerate it. In contrast a mustang dyno is a couple of boxes that you put to either side of the drive axles on the car and actualy bolt to the axles which can simulate loads and by doing that it knows how much force it's putting on the drivetrain and can tell you that.

Mustang dynos generally read lower then dynojets.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm, no a mustang dyno is not directly connected to the axles, that is a dyno pack.

A mustang dyno is a load based rollset similar to a dynojet, but with load control, and 2 roller options.

Ryan